Please Help, 2014 Limited Suspension Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chip2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
I slid on snow and hit a curb going roughly 8 mph and snappedmy lower control arm in 2 pieces and pulled the axle out of the insert. The auto body shop got my insurance to replace all the suspension parts on the front drivers side wheel.
However after multiple test drives there is a clanking noise which almost sounds like metal hitting together. The auto body thought it was a defective strut and replaced...no good. Then replaced the axle thinking that was it....no dice. They said they have no idea what it could be. I know the person working on my truck personally and everything was replaced.
What do you think it could be? Please any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Chip.:wave:
Sorry to read about your incident. There are several threads about front end noises but I don't believe they were the result of an accident. Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight into the problem. You can always use the 'Search' feature in the upper right of the page to see if there is anything similar to what you are experiencing.
That is a very handy program to find various existing threads. Good luck.

Peter

I slid on snow and hit a curb going roughly 8 mph and snappedmy lower control arm in 2 pieces and pulled the axle out of the insert. The auto body shop got my insurance to replace all the suspension parts on the front drivers side wheel.
However after multiple test drives there is a clanking noise which almost sounds like metal hitting together. The auto body thought it was a defective strut and replaced...no good. Then replaced the axle thinking that was it....no dice. They said they have no idea what it could be. I know the person working on my truck personally and everything was replaced.

Sure does sound like a strut mount, but if they replaced it, probably not. If you drive at a crawl speed crank your steering wheel back and forth to try to make the noise repeat itself, it may be a strut mount on the passenger side. If not a strut mount I would have them inspect the sway bar link.

Have they checked the other side? If you hit it hard enough to do all of that damage, there's a possibility that the force could've damaged something on the other side.

Other possibilities, engine/trans mounts, subframe mounting bolts, steering rack.

You have to consider not only where the force was applied, but where it could transfer to.

I did the exact same thing to my car about two years ago. I snapped my driver side control arm in half when I hit the curb in the snow. The shop replaced the strut, control arm, sway bar, and tie rods. Then a year later, my sway bar link came off after making squeak noises (Sounded like metal rubbing) over bumps and rocking the steering wheel back and fourth. They replaced it for me.

I would check the sway bar, and sway bar links.

You can get some one to put their hand on the sway bar linkage under the truck while you push up and down on the fender and see if they feel the joint poping. I had to replace mine(about $90)

You can get some one to put their hand on the sway bar linkage under the truck while you push up and down on the fender and see if they feel the joint poping. I had to replace mine(about $90)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back