Please Help! Whining sound coming from drive train during deceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help! Whining sound coming from drive train during deceleration

aj_dunbar

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 x,88 ranger, and 98 x
I have a whining sound that sounds kinda like a drill but much louder coming from under my x. I only hear it when a release the throttle from speeds over 55 mph. It will stop if i touch the gas and start back up when i release. My x is a 98 sohc v6 4x4 control trac with 4a/4h/4l. Any ideas? Is it safe to drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking for a little while to find some help with this topic but I'm almost at a 'Dead End'.

I drive a 2004 4.6l Limited and it has the SAME problem. In the last couple of days though it has started to progress to a "grind and THUMP, grind and THUMP, etc" up until I accelerate again, then it goes away. But when I let go of the throttle and coast, either on a downhill or coming to a stop, it starts back up again.

I was told it could be a problem in the transfer case. That means $$$$.

Someone else told me it could be the front universal joint.

Can anyone help?

I have a whining sound that sounds kinda like a drill but much louder coming from under my x. I only hear it when a release the throttle from speeds over 55 mph. It will stop if i touch the gas and start back up when i release. My x is a 98 sohc v6 4x4 control trac with 4a/4h/4l. Any ideas? Is it safe to drive?

Yours is likely the (now infamous) shift rail bore issue. Search here and yee shall find!

I've been looking for a little while to find some help with this topic but I'm almost at a 'Dead End'.

I drive a 2004 4.6l Limited and it has the SAME problem. In the last couple of days though it has started to progress to a "grind and THUMP, grind and THUMP, etc" up until I accelerate again, then it goes away. But when I let go of the throttle and coast, either on a downhill or coming to a stop, it starts back up again.

I was told it could be a problem in the transfer case. That means $$$$.

Someone else told me it could be the front universal joint.

Can anyone help?

I doubt yours is the same problem as his... Different engine, trans, t-case, and driveline. I would wonder if yours might be a rear end problem? Maybe an issue with the pinion gear bearings wearing funny?

edit: Just thinking, maybe it could be a similar t-case-related issue? I'm not familiar with the t-case on the early 3rd-gens... Sorry.

I had the same problem, the transfer case needed to be replaced. Almost every time I'd let off the throttle and it would dip below 2k rpm's it would wind and whine until I tapped the gas.

The noise is coming from the front of the truck. I can even feel it in the brake pedal AND of course it jerks the steering.

So gijoecam, you don't think it could be the front universal joint???

The noise is coming from the front of the truck. I can even feel it in the brake pedal AND of course it jerks the steering.

I wouldn't expect that. A u-joint isn't going to care whether you're on or off the gas. I would expect a bad u-joint to make that noise all the time (and it'll usually be more of a rumble than a buzzing...)

Second those thoughts. Ring and pinion or T-case.

Second those thoughts. Ring and pinion or T-case.

How would a ring and pinion make noise when the truck isn't moving?

That makes it a completly different problem than T-Case, gotta be something in the front drivetrain area (Hub, brakes, U Joints, axle).

This sounds to me like the T-Case. Mine did the samething, would here it everytime I coasted, would be hard to get into reverse also.

It is moving. He said it does it while coasting, then goes away under throttle.

update

just an update the t-case whine off and on for months, got better after i changed the fluid! but finally kicked the bucket today:( Was only able to get it home by driving in 4 low for 15 long miles at 15 to 20 mph just under 2000 rpms. Now for the the fun but dreaded trip to the junk yard, $100 used vs. 900 new unless there are any other suggestions
:mad:

Back