Please I need advice and wisdom on ideas about a lift setup! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please I need advice and wisdom on ideas about a lift setup!

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
Well I have finally surrendered to the thought and will be going from a 4 inch lift in the front to a 5.5" in the front and finally buy the proper coil springs. I haven't wheeled in atleast 5-6 years so I think those days are gone so me, atleast in a serious way so this is mainly for looks only, but I was wondering if I could still use shocks that were meant for a 4" lift? I'm favoriting the Bilstein 5100's as I am reading they are great for lifted explorers and for bigger diameter tires....

I was also thinking of doing the SOA in the rear and get away from the harsh ride these AAL be giving me. So with worn sagging like rear leaf springs and warrior shackes in the rear how tall do any of you think the rear will level out to?

Please respond, my tires rub bad now but mostly my fault on that one!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you considered just doing a b/l if you're just looking for more tire room? And as for SOA with saggy springs you should be fine, the springs on my 94 are about flattened being SOA. And do you know what the length of your current shocks are? You will probably have to get new ones since you're raising the frame away from the axles more than what it is now. Depending on how you do the SOA you can re-use the rear shocks at least.

The bilstein 5100's are designed for the 4" lift, I'll be going to 5.5" so I was wondering whats the limit on shocks when you go away from their intended height. And I am not doing a bodylift, I removed a 3 inch bodylift like almost 4 years ago and it looks so much better now!!!

Thanx for the info electrician but I drive a 92, none of those parts are made for me....

Thanx for the info electrician but I drive a 92, none of those parts are made for me....

then you are lucky, more options for you :D try this link for 90-94 Explorers

Dead Link Removed

Well I have the brackets already, as superlifts brackets are universal, as I just need to drop the axle pivot bolts down one hole, then place in some 5.5" springs. My question for the front is would it be alright to use 4" lift springs for a 5.5" lift?

And for the rear if the SOA with warriors shackels will stay in the 5-6" range? I might just go ahead and pull a rear end from a newer explorer while I'm at it to upgrade to rear disc brakes......

I am sure not about to buy another kit!

Back