BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
20191126_104507.jpg
20191126_124527.jpg

Been trying to figure out why my 99 eddie baurer 5.0l keeps stalling out at seemingly random times. I could still hear my fuel pump even tho i have a little bit longer crank so i finally look at my plugs and the passanger side bank looked really bad. My truck has 274k on it looks like oil is getting on the plugs and they are extremely corroded. Been driving it with good plugs and wires and all seems good for now but i wonder if the engine is on its last legs.

Seems to be vibrating alot under the hood but i dont have a check engine light. Is that worn motor mounts? The whole exhaust and my seats are shaking visibly but since i out in new plugs and wires car doesnt seem to skip a beat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plugs look worn
The ash deposits look like to much additives or burning a small amount of oil

41154da0c7921a4e6a719a9bcd0475ad.jpg

May want to Google a better chart

I have a 2000 Mountaineer 5.0L with 265,000 + miles on it. It had multiple misfires around 1.5 years ago. I pulled the plugs and found the 4 plugs on one bank (don't recall which) were totally worn out after about 70K (Motorcraft double platinum's) with gaps too wide for me to measure. Were maybe .085-.090, while the 4 plugs on the other bank still looked quite good with gaps at maybe .058-.060. The "wasted spark" ignition system is responsible for the uneven wear. I replaced the plugs and wires (wires were original OE w/240,000 miles on them). Since replacing the plugs and wires it runs perfectly and doesn't burn any oil to speak of (leaks it instead... LOL).

I'd replace your plugs and wires and see how how it runs. You shouldn't see "corrosion" on your spark plugs. What you might be seeing is oil fouling, but it's a little strange that you'd see this on the 4 plugs of only one bank.

i read somewhere on here that all 8 plugs are not the same part number from factory ..... i dont know this as fact or what post i read it in...i only mention it because of the uneven wear

The plugs look worn
The ash deposits look like to much additives or burning a small amount of oil

View attachment 176110

May want to Google a better chart

I did put a quart of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase this past oil change so maybe. It just all looked excessive ive never seen plugs like that

I did put a quart of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase this past oil change so maybe. It just all looked excessive ive never seen plugs like that
That sounds good with the mmo
Imo. I would only go like 1 or 2 thousand miles
On that oil with the mmo in it and put some in your gas to you will be surprised may want to Google it
The oil is gonna get dirty quick

Be careful with mmo in your gas, I've always been curious about the side effects of it on the catalytic convertors.

Be careful with mmo in your gas, I've always been curious about the side effects of it on the catalytic convertors.
Your making sense
I have been using it as directed on the bottle for years with no problems I just don't over do it

When I changed my o2 sensors after the engine install they were minty the fuel injector s were clean as hel to been great in my experience

Boy what a deference in the engine it makes

Back