Police Utility Option 422 & CA Emissons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Utility Option 422 & CA Emissons

hardware1197

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Police Utility
Greetings from California....

Land of so much bureaucracy when it comes to emissions.

I am looking at a 2013 Police Utility that was damaged pre delivery and repaired - now being sold. It does not have Option 422 - CA emissions, so unless it had 7500 miles on it BEFORE it enters the state, I cannot buy it.

I noticed in the 2013 / 2014 order guide, that a fleet customer could order a Police Utility, without CA Emissions - as long as it was going into service for a public agency

If not, you must order it with 422 which seems to DELETE the Flex Fuel Vehicle (FFV) option.

So: Questions for the forum:

1. What modifications comprise option 422?! Programming? Parts? Equipment?

2. If I could answer #1 , can I then retrofit a non option 422 Utility to have option 422?

3. What kind of performance differences are there between a non FFV 3.7L V6 Ti-VCT Utility and a FFV Utility?

3. Is an Option 422 car REALLY not able to use Corn gas or do they just SAY that to discourage us from using the evil corn elixir in the People's Republic of CA?

Thanks for reading!
-Dave

SF,CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greetings from California....

Land of so much bureaucracy when it comes to emissions.

I am looking at a 2013 Police Utility that was damaged pre delivery and repaired - now being sold. It does not have Option 422 - CA emissions, so unless it had 7500 miles on it BEFORE it enters the state, I cannot buy it.

I noticed in the 2013 / 2014 order guide, that a fleet customer could order a Police Utility, without CA Emissions - as long as it was going into service for a public agency

If not, you must order it with 422 which seems to DELETE the Flex Fuel Vehicle (FFV) option.

So: Questions for the forum:

1. What modifications comprise option 422?! Programming? Parts? Equipment?

2. If I could answer #1 , can I then retrofit a non option 422 Utility to have option 422?

3. What kind of performance differences are there between a non FFV 3.7L V6 Ti-VCT Utility and a FFV Utility?

3. Is an Option 422 car REALLY not able to use Corn gas or do they just SAY that to discourage us from using the evil corn elixir in the People's Republic of CA?

Thanks for reading!
-Dave

SF,CA

Call Ford Fleet and they will help you or put you in contact with someone who can answer these questions from the Police Interceptor Team.

1-800-34-FLEET (1-800-343-5338)

You can review some tech specs for Fords police vehicles here.
Click the car name in the blue box that you want to look at.

Ford Police Vehicles Specs

...some really bad a55 brakes on the Ex...

Hi Guys, Thanks for the referrals...I'm familiar with that document, and I really like the nice folks at Ford Fleet. They tried to be helpful but in the end no one can (or is permitted to) tell me what actual differences there are with option 422, other than you get a different sticker under the hood!

I'm guessing at MOST it's a vapor return from this to that, or perhaps even PCM programming - or perhaps just the FFV delete in name only...So frustrating - I've passed up some nice Utilities for decent prices at Manhiem auctions, just due to this issue.

-hardware

I bet a local police garage with a knowledgeable tech may have the right manual and info about this?

It seems they would likely know about retrofitting CA police/fleet cars headed from service to auction, since its a pretty interesting way to purchase a beefy car & get it ready for the street.

I bet a local police garage with a knowledgeable tech may have the right manual and info about this?

It seems they would likely know about retrofitting CA police/fleet cars headed from service to auction, since its a pretty interesting way to purchase a beefy car & get it ready for the street.

As the cars they would be sending to auction are going to have a lot of miles (more than the 7500 CA requirement), they probably don't do any retrofitting aside from removing their equipment...

Blichy is right. they don't do anything. I have access to the online service manuals from Ford, and there is not mention of this equipment.

If I bought a non Option 422 car with over 7500 miles at TIME OF PURCHASE, I'd be able to register it in CA. It's all pretty ridiculous.

Back