Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

** POLL - Which Generation would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Explorer Related Polls' started by Spudhut, November 16, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    ?

Which Generation would you prefer?

1. Gen 1 - Explorer

2. Gen 2 - Explorer

3. Gen 2 - Mountaineer

4. Gen 3 - Explorer

5. Gen 3 - Mountaineer

6. Gen 4 - Explorer

7. Gen 5 - Explorer

8. Gen 6 - Explorer

Multiple votes are allowed.
    Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Spudhut

Spudhut US Navy Submariner Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Bentonville, AR
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
      Callsign:
      KG5SPB
      I sold my Jeep Wrangler and now I'm in the market for a "new" vehicle. :bounce:

Did some searching, but didn't find a thread that gave a quick favored review of each Gen and why.

I could be a 'Nut' having (2) Gen 2's already, but I really enjoy these vehicles and their styling.

I currently have a stock 97' Sport and the other is a modified SAS/SOA 97' V8. I love the 5.0 V8 and they are super simple to work on.

The Sport will naturally go to the kids to drive, so I need another 'daily' "Stock" vehicle that I can call my own. I prefer not to purchase a brand new one or a car payment

As I am very familiar with the 2nd Gen models, but, after looking at the different models and what is available out there, I'm still torn on choices.

I'm leaning heavy to pick up another 2nd Gen V8 Explorer/Mountaineer but I'm not very familiar with the other Generations and thought it would be a great thread to break it down in simple terms.

Yes, there are many possible quirks with each Generation, but where do you start to figure out which is better than the other.

:wave:After taking your Poll (I set it at (2) choices) - I'd like to capture the following::wave:
      1. Which Gen's did you pick? :dunno:
      2. List both Gen's picked and explain in order of precedence why you favor them and why? :D
      4. Quirks - things to look for immediately - common problems o_O
      5. Personal experience :popcorn:

:burnout:

Feel free to elaborate as much as you like. I'm hoping this thread will grow to help others in their future shopping experience :) :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      My choice is always the 2nd Gen V8. Although, I did have a 1st Gen Sport 5 Speed that I would buy if I could get one pristine and cheap enough.

4. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I voted gen 2 mountaineer. I've had 2 of them that I loved, a 00 and a 98. Got the drive train from a 97 mountaineer in my 01 Ranger, they are pretty bullet proof + easy to work on.

My wife has a 3rd gen weve had for about 7 years and 70k miles (At 170k now). THE ONLY things I haven't touched is the transmission and transfer case. Everything else from every suspension part, every wheel bearing, tearing dash out to fix broken blend doors, of course a 4.0 engine with every cooling system part..... I could go on. Only thing you can do in a 3rd gen that you can't in a 2nd is haul 7 people.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Ditto, 2nd gens for reliability, and looks etc. I prefer the Mountaineer, the red two toned specifically. I like the high optioned versions(two spoke steering wheel) best, they have everything a Limited does but the memory seat(and you could add that). Only consider the 302 versions, the V6 isn't worth the trouble unless you have spare V8 swap parts on hand.

Find one that hasn't been abused too much, which is a tall order. Look for rust and corrosion underneath, in the body seams, bottom of doors and hatch. If it's solid, then look at how equal the tires are, and how much damage it has to obsolete parts. You can't fix a cracked dash or most interior parts, other than replacing them with different used parts.

6. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      I've had..

1st gen = 2
      2nd gen = 4
      4th gen = 1
      6th gen = 1

I've grown fawn of the classic first gen style, but not it's tired drivetrain. The simpler the better in these. I'm far the most familiar with the 2nd gen, but the style has not aged as well. You can still find some of these in good condition. The 4th gen I really like for a more modern driver. A V8 of that would be fun. The newer 6th gen is great for the family and all the bling gizmos but It scares me how these will age. There is just so much to go wrong.

With that it really depends on your needs. I'm loving the 1st gen with a newer drivetrain. Which is actually what I'm in the middle of.:D

So for you I would say late second Gen (love 01-03 sport and sport Trac) styling or 4th gen. Most of the issues are all resolved on these models. Never had any issues with our '06 at all. Kinda wished I kept it.

I'll sell you my ’97 XL 4dr. And you can swap a V8 into it.

7. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I thought the 5th gen was from 2011 to 2018, and the new model is the 6th gen. What have I missed on the chassis changes?

8. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      93-94 or a 96-97

The first gen tailgate is far superior to the 98+ "bubble butt"
      The heavier lift gate and components from 91-97 hold up better over time, plus I like the styling a bit better.
      I like 93 because no EGR and no CPS, 94 is okay too but they added the egr and cps
      Not that it really matters because I would swap in a later model ohv and convert to obd2
      I said gen I because you already know the gen II platform
      It is time for you to get a TTB and a steering gear box LOL
      Sport if you are going to wheel it or give it to kids (harder to get friends in back seat)
      Or 4 door if you like space for kids, gear and dog...
      96 was my fav year of the Gen II, simply because I had/daily drove one and they are tanks
      that or a fully loaded 2001 Limited or Mercury 5.0L I really like those

The Gen II Explorer was the bread and butter for Ford loving families all across the USA for many many years.
      My stepsons and I have built many many Rangers, Explorers and other RBV over the years.
      I have recycled/crushed many many more.
      If I could build my personal collection I would have:
      1. My 1988 Bronco II, the short wheelbase is just so much fun
      2. A built 302 Long travel IFS 5.0 V8 4x4 Sport trac (for taking the kids to school)
      3. A built up Mazda extended cab 4 door, I like the Mazda doors and bed lines better then the Ford, 331 stroker, M50d-R2, disc brake
      We already have 3 v8 explorers around here, 96, 98 and 98 my stepsons and their wives.
      I love all RBV if you can't tell, I have settled with just the BII and sold everything else. Only because I have a 01 Excursion 7.3 that is getting lifted, a 2000 7.3 E350 chateu Van that is getting 4x4 and my "Shop truck" 97 F350 4 door flatbed...the B2 and the F350 are the only thing I get time to daily drive andf build up! Anything else would just sit.......Between the tractors, the Polaris machines the kids and the wives vehicles, I cant justify keeping one of the Sport tracs I have downstairs getting a V8 (Im trying, pushing the issue with the boss LOL)...It was a sad day when I sold my old 96 Explorer but she wasn't getting used
      That's my 02

• Like Like x 1
    9. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      That's what I was thinking too....but sense you can't buy a "6th Gen" yet, and he said he didn't want new I'm not sure why it's a option in the poll. That's what threw me off.:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    10. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Buy them all, and don't sell any of them. That's my plan, but I can't afford them all, or the space.

• Like Like x 1
    11. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      selkirk, manitoba
      98 supercharged 347 sport
      explorers that i have owned to keep.
      1st gen (cant remember if it was a 91 92) sport. ohv, 5spd. that thing was rock solid.
      2nd gen 98 sport. have had it over 10 years, and has morphed into something that i would have never thought i would do if you would roll back time and told me when i first bought it.
      as well as my kids 00 sport
      first gen, if it was a 5spd and you didnt have the crappy auto hubs, i would highly dout it will die unless your a massive idiot.
      second gens, i would say a 5L. parts are everywhere for the motors. as well as you dont need a masters in rocket science to work on them as well. people can get 300 plus out of them without even pulling a valve cover. they to just dont know how to die.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    13. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Cool. Those are still out here, but rare also. I'll get my black Limited painted some time next year, and you tell me if it looks close to the OEM Mercury we have. I've seen some OEM reds that will work as the dark color bottom. But the top I've got some blood red concentrate to add into the Toreador Red, with some pearl removed, and some gold pearl added.

I hope people are saving these trucks, in about ten years there won't be many left to work with.