Pop when braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pop when braking

Cadbury455

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
I just picked up a 91 Explorer EB 4x4 (for CHEAP) it has some minor issues (window motor, door lock, etc.) One issue I want to fix right away is what I think is a suspension/steering issue. About a half second after braking hard there is a loud pop in the front end. I also heard a small pop noise when turning hard. I have a little mechanical experience. If I could get some help finding the problem I have the tools/resources to get the job done. Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the first gen noisy front end.

Calipers make clunking noise; common.

Radius arm bushings make clunking sound; common.

Ball joints shot; common.

Axle pivot bushings clunk; common.

Loose/bad wheel bearings clunk; common.

Coil springs clunk around in the spring pockets; common.

None of which pose an immediate safety issue. except maybe the loose/bad wheel bearings and of course brakes.

So. Hear ya go. Pull the front wheels off and make sure your brakes are serviceable.

Check to make sure your steering linkage is not about to fall off.

You just acquired a 23+ year old truck, the usual maintenance items are gonna be needed.

Every service item on my front end is new, and still it clunks. Not gonna go away. It is what it is on this one.

I pulled off the tires and there is a lot of play. Going to check the brakes and change tie rods when i have the time. It's my backup car so low priority for now.

im having the same problem, but when i first bought mine i got under and noticed that my radius arm bushing were very worn out, i would double check those, you will usually notice them more when breaking and when going over speed bumps. I put my driver side one off for a bit and my friend said when he was next to me he could see my tire move when breaking, so i suggest to check those haha.

I pulled off the tires and there is a lot of play. Going to check the brakes and change tie rods when i have the time. It's my backup car so low priority for now.

All the parts are cheap, ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, brakes, bearings.

All for under $300. So if you do all the work yourself it's an inexpensive refresh for the front end.

Urethane bushing kits are all over eBay.

Moog ball joints $85 at Most AP stores, with the free ball joint press rental.

So now it's just a matter of collecting the parts and setting aside a Saturday in the driveway.

Another $65 at the alignment shop and Done!

One more thing to look out for - my '94 had a broken bracket at the frame where the radius arm goes back from the steering area on the left side. It was difficult to see the break because there's a rubber bushing on each side that was hiding it. It gave a 'thunk' when braking. It was a $120 part and $350 labor to replace (I didn't have time that week to do it myself...).

One more thing to look out for - my '94 had a broken bracket at the frame where the radius arm goes back from the steering area on the left side. It was difficult to see the break because there's a rubber bushing on each side that was hiding it. It gave a 'thunk' when braking. It was a $120 part and $350 labor to replace (I didn't have time that week to do it myself...).

If you are talking about the radius arm bracket, the prices have dropped a bunch.. The bracket is a $35 part and it is normally the passenger side that goes bad.. "normally" they don't crack but people wait too long to change out a bad radius arm bushing and make the hole in the bracket oblong. The Cat is on the passenger side which is why that side goes first.

~Mark

Back