Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by foxtemple, November 19, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jlittle2212

jlittle2212 New Member

City, State:
    Kentucky
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2014 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thanks Peter! Everyone seems to be having problems with the right side.

My problem does seem identical, but on the left side. I have an appointment on Saturday at the dealer so hopefully will find out then! :thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jlittle2212

jlittle2212 New Member

City, State:
    Kentucky
    2014 Ford Explorer XLT
    Had my appt. with dealer this morning. Received the diagnosis of TSB14-0186.

Not covered under powertrain warranty. :mad:

Has to do with the left CV joint needing a thrust washer.

4. pup5581

pup5581 Active Member

'14 Explorer Sport
    So my 14 has this clicking when backing up and turning the wheel sometimes..but only in reveres and only for a brief click..not continuous...but i don't see a TSB for the 14s in this...

5. Holligl

Holligl Active Member

City, State:
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    2011 Limited Platinum
    I left mine (73,000 miles) with the dealer this morning. For $78 (??!!) they diagnosed the problem as bad strut bearings and want around $500 to replace. (The struts must be removed to replace the bearings.) Clunking comes from the bearing not allowing the spring to rotate freely as the steering turns. At this point I plan to wait until the struts need replacing too. Sounds like a common ford suspension problem. Noise is not extreme and it does not look like any safety issue. Seems like there should be some way to add lubrication to avoid premature replacement! Look for online video of "2006-2012 Front Suspension Noise- Strut Bearing".

6. lancer1227

lancer1227 New Member

City, State:
    Midland, Tx
    2011 Ford Explorer Limite
    My 2011 Explorer Limited is making a deep popping, thumping sounds when turning the steering wheel left or right and when going over bumps. I can hear this noise when standing outside of the vehicle and turn the wheel. It's very noticeable under the hood as well. I've read several threads about suspension noise, but it's described as a tick or creak. Several threads listed a TSB for replacing thrust washers on the half shafts as well as the lower arms and bushings. Can someone provide me more direction? I do not want to pay an arm and a leg to have this replaced or wait a week for it to be repaired by my local dealership.

7. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
    Go read the posts about front strut bushings and front arm links.

8. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
  9. lancer1227

lancer1227 New Member

City, State:
    Midland, Tx
    2011 Ford Explorer Limite
    Thanks! Looks like I narrowed it down to the strut bearing mount. Wish I could find a preassembled strut like the quick-strut for my year model. It would make the whole process worth the teAr down

10. LW's Ford Explorer

LW's Ford Explorer New Member

2015 Ford Explorer
    i have a 2015 Ford Explorer that has just started a popping sound in the front at slow speeds. Forward and reverse. Do not notice it at normal speed. Only have 45k miles. Is this the u joints?

11. Keith N

Keith N Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Midwest
    2011 explorer xlt
    If you can hear the noise turning the wheel as it's parked, it's most likely a strut bearing. Pretty minor fix. Mine was $200 at belle tire. I put my hand right on the spring as someone turned the wheel side to side and I could feel the bad side popping as the wheel turned.

12. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    My 2016 sport is doing this. Popping noise when turning. Sounds like its coming from the front end. Happens when I turn left or right. Seems to be happening more and more often.

13. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    Is this only happening upon the first startup?
    If yes, it's likely the ABS check.

14. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    TSB 16-0021 BODY CREAK/POP NOISE OVER BUMPS - RIGHT FRONT SUBFRAME BOLT AREA - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/31/2016
    Publication Date: February 23, 2016

FORD: 2016 Explorer

ISSUE:
    Some 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 1/31/2016 may exhibit a pop or creak noise from the right front mounting bolt of the front subframe. This condition may be due to a mispositioned weld between the barrel nut and the subframe mounting bracket

My summation of the fix: The have to remove the right front wheel and splash shield. Then they mark lines on the sheet metal on the inner fender and using a cutting wheel tool make a flap that allows access to the barrel nut they are referring to. They weld the nut to subframe, fold the flap back up, weld that, apply some anti rust stuff and put it back together.

Estimated time to fix - 1.3 hrs.

15. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Thank you 613GT500. Can't ask for quicker response and better service than that!

I guess i'll have to make another trip to the dealer. I absolutely love this truck, but I am on a first name basis with the service advisors.

16. Keith N

Keith N Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Midwest
    2011 explorer xlt
    You can quickly eliminate or prove the strut bearing by holding your hand on the spring as someone turns the steering lock to lock (fully in each direction). You will feel and here subtle pops as the spring winds up a little, then releases during the turning motion.

Keith

17. BlueSilver

BlueSilver New Member

2013 Ford Explorer XLT
    Wife tells me that when she turns into a parking space slowly, she gets a popping sound from driver side. I just had the strut mounts replaced about a month prior, as I heard these are notorious for failure. That was a clunk feel/sound when parked and moving the steering right to left. No longer an issue there.
    Had the front end checked yesterday and all was ok. I can only narrow it down to maybe a dust cover rub on rotor, loose caliper on bracket, or the electric steering. I replaced the brakes/rotors all around and made sure everything was tight on install. Thinking this issue is probably common on these things, so I'm throwing out the question as to what it may be here first. Thanks

18. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    Old topic with a few possibilities: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...nk-bushing-failure.419861/page-7#post-3558535

19. roamingphantom

roamingphantom Active Member

City, State:
    NYC
    2013 EX Limited, 302A
    Ok try to keep up with me here:
    Had this same problem. Brought it to the dealer, the claim its a rack and pinion issue. They changed it. When I got my car back they returned it with a loud hum and vibration - took it back, they said its normal. I exploded on them for a half a$$ effort. Brought it back, they found the humming and vibration was from a bad torque converter. They changed it. Got the car back and discovered it leaked oil, took it back again and let them have it for creating more problems...they discovered it was a leaking PTU. They changed it. Got the car back with my front left fended dented - brought it back to get fixed. Getting it back today, anyone betting on what will come back?

20. Sixonemale

Sixonemale Active Member

2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
    Paint won't match on the repaired fender and/or not blended well.