• Register Today It's free!

Popping/Grinding While Turning?

96EddieB

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer 2WD 4.0L
Still pretty new here, you guys really helped out when I was repairing our '96 Eddie Bauer to sell. :thumbsup:

Well after that my Pops purchased an '03 XLT Explorer with ~28K miles on it, currently it is at 40K. He just called and said "after driving for 30 minutes, when I turn the wheel I get nasty pop pop and grinding sounds." My immediate thought is CV joints, but wanted to know if there's any common issue that could cause the same. How are the CV joints on the 02+ Explorers? Is it normal for them to go out after 40K miles? I know there's a common wheel bearing problem, but considering this only happens while turning I don't think that's it.

Unfortunately he's in DC and I'm in Louisiana, so I can't check it out for myself. However he is coming down here a couple week and I am going to (attempt to) repair it. I'd like to get an idea of what I'm getting into before he gets here.

If it IS the CV joints, how bad is the swap on the 02+ Explorers? I've done CV shafts on several small and mid-sized cars, and one SUV. Is there anything "special" I need to know regarding the Expo?

Thanks guys! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He doesn't have it in 4WD does he? :eek: That is exactly what it will do if you have it in 4WD on pavement.

If not, then I would say the CVs.

Sounds like wheel bearings. I've heard alot of people say CV shafts make a clicking noise when they're going. I replaced one of my CV shafts a few weeks ago while doing some work on my front diff and I didn't know the shaft was bad until I removed it from the truck. Each joint has 3 bearings and one of the bearings where missing and the other 2 where dry and where missing most of thier needle bearings. I never heard, or felt anything suggesting my CVs where bad.

sound to me your are stuck in 4wd. I had the same problem before my module went out. It would go into 4wd intermitently

Thanks for the advice guys, I recall reading something about a common 4wd problem on the 02+, correct? If so I'll definitely check that out.

Once again my immediate thought was CV joints...but I've never seen an "intermittent" CV problem. They're either good or bad. The "it happens after driving for 30 minutes..." thing is what's boggling me.

If it is related to the 4WD module, what should I be looking for/testing?

Thanks again guys.

this is what happen to mine. would be turning into my parking stall and feel like its in 4wd. So I back it up a few times and it dissapeared. Then it pulled a fast one on me a lost the 4wd drive part altogether. Do the buttons on the dash work??? Ya see 4wd needs a slippery surface to work well. it is not intended to be used on dry roads unless going straight.

I'll have my module this week and give an update if it worked.

Thanks Wash. Not sure on the dash buttons yet, my dad doesn't get down here until Sunday. I won't have much time to work on it, that's why I'm trying to figure out the problem now. I'm actually hoping it's something that simple. I'd much rather change a module than a CV shaft. :D

Keep us updated. :thumbsup:

grinding noise and popping

My '03 has 55000 miles on it and it just started the grinding noise about two weeks ago, it has gotten worse and my wife said she heard a pop today. I got under the rearend and felt around and the independant shafts have a little play and feel like the joints are dry. I am taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. This sounds like a lubrication problem if the joints and bearings are wearing out this soon.

I had the same exact problem with my '02 with 36K on it. The 4wd would engage at low speeds and pop when turning at low speeds. It was the 4wd module. I think they cost a little over $400.

Just replacing the compter module fixed your problem? Computers these days usually either work or don't work. I can't understand how your old computer module just didn't do a good job of modulating the 4wd when pulling into parking spaces, but a new one did?

well a new module fixed the problem. 400?? I got mine for 200.Takes 15 mins to replace.I was told by the parts guy that 02 had bad modules. Mine went out at 36200 and the ford dealer told me tough sh*t ,Ford ain't goinna help you.

Want happened was that occasionally it would go into 4wd intermitently. I ahve to amke a sharp turn to get into my parking spot and I could tell right away it was in 4wd. BUT the dash lights did not come on.

I had a similar problem with our '04 4wd.... at about 20k miles on most left turns and some right turns the front end would bang, buck and make a metallic clunk like it was in 4 low. Turns out it was the front axle speed sensor calibration in the computer. It was causing the clutch packs to engage/disengage at different times and speeds.

Luckily it was under warranty, and it was taken care of when the rear diff was rebuilt.

Thats interesting because ever since my first winter with my 03 there have been times right after starting the truck felt really sluggish, now that I think of it it felt like it does when it's in 4 low, and now I've got a shudder-it feels like a slipping or-during acceleration in 1st gear at about 3200 rpm, I wonder if this has been my problem all along? I also had a problem of starting but refusing to idle on very cold days, I have to hold the revs at about 3000 to keep it running at first otherwise the engine just dies, but I guess it's unrelated.

007 said:
I had a similar problem with our '04 4wd.... at about 20k miles on most left turns and some right turns the front end would bang, buck and make a metallic clunk like it was in 4 low. Turns out it was the front axle speed sensor calibration in the computer. It was causing the clutch packs to engage/disengage at different times and speeds.

Luckily it was under warranty, and it was taken care of when the rear diff was rebuilt.

Could you tell me where the clutch packs are located in the rear end--i have the clunking sound when making sharp turns and I was told to replace the clutch packs.

could you tell me where the sped sensor is located also

Joe Pash said:
Could you tell me where the clutch packs are located in the rear end--i have the clunking sound when making sharp turns and I was told to replace the clutch packs.

It wasn't in the rear end. It was the front end that clunked, and was the clutch packs in the Xfer case that were causing the problem. The front axle speed sensor(s) needed to be re-calibrated. Now with 40k on the truck, there have been no new problems to report.

Have the computer reflashed before having hardware replaced. Ford knows of this issue.

arggg said:
Thats interesting because ever since my first winter with my 03 there have been times right after starting the truck felt really sluggish, now that I think of it it felt like it does when it's in 4 low, and now I've got a shudder-it feels like a slipping or-during acceleration in 1st gear at about 3200 rpm, I wonder if this has been my problem all along? I also had a problem of starting but refusing to idle on very cold days, I have to hold the revs at about 3000 to keep it running at first otherwise the engine just dies, but I guess it's unrelated.

When ours had less than 1000 miles on it, it just up and died at a stop light about 2 miles from the house. It was cold out, and the truck was cold. Tried to restart it, no dice...turned over, wouldn't fire. I had to bring my car over and push it out of the intersection. Dealer advised it was a software glitch and they re-flashed the ECM with updated calibration, and it never happened again.

Back