Possible '10 S/T purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible '10 S/T purchase

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: I've owned a '02 S/T since new. I'm "contemplating" the purchase of a "newer" S/T but would like to know more about the issues that the '10 model S/T have/had before getting serious about a "upgrade".

I'm well aware of most of the serious issues the '02's had and have dealt with them.

Any input about the '10's would be appreciated.

Thanks,
ptf18

I have a regular 2010 explorer with a 4.6, not a ST, but here are the problems I've had:

The trans "bumps" when coming to a stop, almost feels like you're getting rear-ended. very annoying. The 2010 has a 6R80 trans which was supposed to fix the problem but it's still there. A dealer flashed the trans and it didn't help. I had a 2008 with the 6R60 and it was the same thing.

At about 130,000 miles, the timing chain guide tensioner went bad which caused a loud noise on startup. I replaced it but it still makes noise.

The exhaust manifold on the pass. side leaks, very common on the 4.6

Wheel bearing have gone bad a few times, also very common.

Other than that, it's been rock-solid. I consider those problems minor so I would buy another one if I had to. Hope this helps

stay away from the 4th gen explorers and ST in my opinion. have had my '08 for 5 years. much rather have spent the money on something different.

the truck is fun to drive and handles great when stock. but engine, spark plug and exhaust manifolds are some of the design problems with this generation.
abnormal wear ive had : i have the 6R60 trans and have the 1-2 gear bump when cold. had to replace the TC, and my manifolds have been leaking for a year. think i am getting the phaser tick now too. my Throttle body/ TPS has been on the frits the past month.

Thanks Fellows. Gee these "new" cars look sweet... till you start having "issues" with them. I might just spend the 3,4 5 k on a really good paint job and keep the '02. Mama bought it new. She still loves it...

Back