Possible Computer failure 2002 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Computer failure 2002 explorer

threefishfour

Reaction score
City, State
Hammonton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey all,

I recently had a rebuilt trans installed in my 02 explorer. Once it was in and filled (filling was a probem but i resolved that), everything seemed to be going well. At approx 100 miles after installation I experienced a complete engine failure. I am not very inclined mechanically outside of the basics. I used my obd reader and only receied the 8888 error message. I checked the obd fuse (location 24 on drivers side) and the fuse was intact. A quick once over by a mechanic i know noticed a melted o2 sensor due to contact with the exhaust. He stated that it may have shorted the ECM and thats why i am receiving the 8888. My question is this: is there a way I can test the ECM to determine if it is in fact damaged?

Does the tranny work lend any possibility to the failure i am getting. The truck basically stalled out while driving, I have complete electric, everything turns on when i turn on the key, but it will not crank. Even when we jumped the starter, the truck will not start.

Thank you all for the help!
and sorry if my non-technical-ese makes it hard to help me.

Blown fuse, they blow when o2 sensors short out. fuse F1.41 a 15 amp.

Back