Possible Rear End Whining/Whirring Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Rear End Whining/Whirring Noise

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Having a new issue with my Explorer now.. just got done pretty much doing a mass replacement of 90% of the suspension, getting tires, and an alignment. I guess by coincidence now that all that works been done now the drive train decides it's going to take a dump..

I notice this mostly at low speeds while turning in and out of 90 degree turns (turning, parking, etc) and while decelerating from highway speeds say down a hill just coasting

It is a medium to high pitch whirring/humming noise that sort of pulsates up down up down in pitch as the vehicle slows down, doesn't get worse when turning as a wheel bearing would, I've had that problem before and can rule out that it's not wheel bearing noise. Also while decelerating at lower speeds I can hear a sort of rattling from under the car, but only when coasting, can't be heard at any other time other than between 40-20mph approximately while coasting.

I can also feel a distinct vibration through the entire vehicle (almost that of a handheld massager, etc) when going about 50-60mph. Lastly at low speeds when making sharp turns I can hear a groaning sound that is directly related to turning and speed and changes pitch depending on those two variables.

I'm also getting some chirps and squeaks from power steering when making sharp turns at faster speeds (10-15mph).

Again, I noticed all of this after replacing those parts, new tires, and alignment. I usually have music loud but I can hear this even over that music.

I'm new to drive train but not completely clueless, where should I start? What's easy what's not? To my knowledge since getting the vehicle the transmission had a partial fluid change and filter replacement about a year ago, nothing else done to my knowledge.

Please lend me your thoughts, thanks

Back