• Register Today It's free!

Possible transfer case problem.

Bobbie

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD
Have '98 XLT, 5.0 L, AWD, 4R70W tranny. 228K miles. Except for brakes, shocks, tires & tuneups have only had to replace front end (ball joints, TRE's, upper & lower control arms) until this week. Driving along at 45 mph starting up a hill and heard a loud "thunk" and stopped moving. No prior indications anything was wrong with tranny. No "Check Engine" light on. No "OD" light illumination. Luckily I was able to coast back down the hill into a driveway and call a tow truck. ATF fluid level good, fluid more amber than red in color. No odor. Driveshaft doesn't turn when in gear. RPMs adjust when trying to put in various gears, but absolutely no indication of tranny trying to go into gear. Have spent hours on threads in the Explorer Enthusiasts Forum but haven't run across one yet with similar failure mode. Any ideas before I go ahead and buy a remanufactured 4R70W?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the welcome. I forgot to mention that I did all of the aforementioned repairs to my '98 XLT myself. After reading all of the threads related to trannys, differentials, xfer cases, etc., I had already decided to start with the xfer case first. It looks like it has been leaking around the front shaft seals and I have experienced some minor vibration at 45 mph, which I thought might be related to the xfer case.

New Elite Member

Thanks for the welcome to the EE Group.
Guess I should move my tranny problem to the Elite Explorer Forum now, huh?

Possible Transfer Case Problem

Thanks!

Back