Possible trouble with Flex-A-Lite fan controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible trouble with Flex-A-Lite fan controller

JW

Third Gen Collector
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
A Troop Of Gen 3s
My 2003 has an electric fan conversion and I suspect the Flex-A-Lite 33054 controller has taken a turn for the worse. Saturday night, the fan quit working completely. I tore everything apart Sunday morning and was able to successfully test the fan by connecting directly to the battery. I was also able to (I thought) successfully test the controller by cycling the AC on and off and seeing the fan turn on and off. I didn't run the engine enough to test temperature control at that time.

Last night I reassembled everything, and now the fan runs constantly. There's no temperature-based control at all, and though the controller can tell when the AC is cycling (there's an LED on the controller that lights when the AC is on), it has no effect on fan operation. I still haven't been able to drive it enough to reach operating temp, but I suspect the controller itself is hosed and no longer reliable. At worst, I think it may have the opposite effect - turning the fan off when it should be running.

Anyone have any experience with one of these failing? I'm hoping to get some feedback before purchasing a new one. It's six years old and has nearly 70,000 miles on it. Tagging @JoshMcMadMac so hopefully he'll see this (the conversion thread above is his).

call flex a lite first. they have very good customer service. my experience with them was i had a fan kit (older one as well) with a analogue controller. i had called to ask for a mount kit, and see i there was a plug i was missing. by the time i hung up with them, i had two different types of mount kits, a digital controller, and wire kit coming to me free of charge! they even paid for the shipping.

Reactions: JW

Thanks for the tip, Tim. Some quick troubleshooting on the phone, and a new temp probe is on order. It basically went from being an on switch to an off switch, as I suspected. Right now it's unplugged, and it's humid enough that running the AC makes sense anyway.

Back