Possible vacuum leak or ?? Hissing noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible vacuum leak or ?? Hissing noise

Sully1

Reaction score
City, State
Petoskey, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0
For the past 2 or 3 weeks, there has been a "hissing" noise coming from my passenger side under the dash. But the weird thing is, every post about this has the exact opposite symptom that i have. Every post I've read says that the noise is when accelerating, but goes away when coasting or cruising. For me, the noise is only when NOT giving it any gas, and the more gas i give it, the more it goes away. So Anyone have any suggestions? any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I swear theres gotta be a gremlin hiding in my EX somewhere.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about your performance? Idling okay? Any hesitation or stumbling? Brake s sluggish? don-ohio :)^)

there isn't a single thing wrong as far as performance surprisingly.As in it idles fine, ect. but if this helps narrow it down i remember when i first got my ex, every time i would change where the air was coming out, it would hiss. and the noise i can hear sounds exactly like what it sounded like when trying to switch where the air was being blown before except it is constant. also if i change where i want the air to be blown, nothing happens and it is basically blown out everywhere. like i can feel it coming out of the vents, feet, and defroster.

The vacuum accumulator is up under the dash on passenger side. See if one of the plastic tubes got kicked loose from it. Might be cracked or something too. It's the black (I think) plastic cylindrical looking thing up there by the blower motor.

Yeah,RRgone is probably right.......I didn't know you had air directional problems. I'm glad it's running well though.
don-ohio :)^)
The vacuum accumulator is up under the dash on passenger side. See if one of the plastic tubes got kicked loose from it. Might be cracked or something too. It's the black (I think) plastic cylindrical looking thing up there by the blower motor.

Back