Potential MAF / O2 sensor issue

Rolodex

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Hi all,

(Pls forgive me if this is answered in another thread. I wasn't able to locate anything with a search.)

I have a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC, 209,000 km. I've had it for eight years and since 60,000km. It's always idled pretty rough, with a vibration that seems to come and go. Last winter in a fairly cold snap (-25C or so) I was unable to keep it running unless I kept the RPMs above 2200 or so. Had to drive it across town for my neighbour (a mechanic) to look it at. (Shifting into neutral and reving to keep the rpms above 2200 when I had to stop for a red light etc.) During this time the check engine light was on and would flash from time to time. I also had issues accelerating, it felt like the oxygen was being restricted.

My mechanic friend took it to his shop. It ran fine on the drive to and from. He scanned it and I believe recived an O2 sensor code, but wasn't sure which sensor. Other people have told me this could be the MAF sensor.

Over the summer the check engine light would blink occasionally (it's been on for months) and the air felt like it was constricted again. This has occurred a couple times recently on the cold mornings.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before?

You need to pull the trouble codes then look them up or post here. If you don't have a scan tool then places like Autozone will do it for free. Usually (none that I am aware of) a code would not potentially apply to (both) MAF and O2 sensor, rather it would be one or the other, but of course it is not impossible to have both sensors failing and two or more different trouble codes.

An out of range 02 sensor reading could also mean a different engine problem that the 02 sensor is correctly reading.

Back