• Register Today It's free!

powder coating

clickclack

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 LTD Explorer
hello does anyone have pictures of powder coated wheels or have powder coated their stock wheels i wouldn't mind seeing what this looks like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked mine up from the shop today and dropped them off at Discount Tire to have the Hankooks put back on. I got there at close so it won't be until tomorrow till I have them back. I'll do my best to get a picture or two posted.

Just picked mine up from the shop today and dropped them off at Discount Tire to have the Hankooks put back on. I got there at close so it won't be until tomorrow till I have them back. I'll do my best to get a picture or two posted.

ya can't wait to see them

ya can't wait to see them

Hope this works.... I'm only providing a close up until the rest of my mods are done.

black_wheel.jpg

Hope this works.... I'm only providing a close up until the rest of my mods are done.

black_wheel.jpg

Sweet they look nice, what kind of price did you have to pay where your at. Did you coat the calipers too?

Nice work, you're brave for being the first or one of the first to accomplish this. I'm ready to see the final product!

Powder coating the wheels came in at $75 a piece.

The calipers were a dilemma as I couldn't decide on color, black, blue or red. Because of that I chose not to have the calipers coated and just painted them. I didn't want to go through the process of removing them etc. to then not be happy with the color.

My initial goal was to match the Ford blue. I unbolted the calipers and removed the outer pads. I then masked the brake lines, bolts, inner pads etc and spray painted them with high temp flat black to get a dark base. Then I spray painted them with a dark blue.

While the result was not as dark as I had hoped they turned out nice. I'll drive with them for a while and either keep them blue or go black with them.

probably a stupid question but did you have to remove the tires from the rims when applying the powdercoat?

Can you post a pic of the whole truck with the wheels like that?

Can't wait to see the finished product, wheels lok good!

probably a stupid question but did you have to remove the tires from the rims when applying the powdercoat?

Yes you have to remove the tires from the rims, so there is an expense in addition to the powder coating cost. You'll pay about $20 a tire at most tire shops to have the tires taken off, replaced and rebalanced. The valve stems have to be destroyed to remove them so you'll pay another $5 (or more) for each stem.

See this for more information...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327150

Can you post a pic of the whole truck with the wheels like that?

I'm still completing the transformation. A couple of parts came back from the painter in less than acceptable shape so not all the trim is installed. Once I get them back and installed I'll post pictures of the whole vehicle.

I must say I'm getting excited at how the Explorer is looking and can't wait to finish the project. My hopes are that I'll be posting on Wednesday!

Back