Power Brake Booster Replacement Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Brake Booster Replacement Questions

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all,

This is on a 2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 with ABS but without traction control and advance trac

The problem I'm having is a spongy almost limp feel to the brake pedal and a distinct hissing sound inside the cabin when pressing the pedal. Almost like a whooshing sound.

I'm assuming it's either the booster or the cylinder?

Is there a way to pull the cylinder off the booster without removing the lines? I'm worried about air getting in and not sure how to go about pulling it off completely. What are your thoughts? thanks!

I read a bunch of stuff about paying a Stealership to bleed the air out of the ABS. Then I read about jacking the car up, getting the tires moving, and hitting the brake pedal to force the ABS to become active. It worked for me. My pedal was within 2 inches of the floor during normal braking. Now it brakes at 2 inches from the top instead of 2 inches from the bottom.

Of course this doesn't answer your question about how to not get air in the lines in the first place. It just explains what to do after everything goes wrong. You will have to wait for somebody else who can tell you how to not get air in the fluid lines in the first place.

Back