Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Power door locks cycling - Coincidence or not?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by ColoradoZ28, July 29, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ColoradoZ28

ColoradoZ28 New Member

City, State:
      Monument, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Sport
      98 Explorer 2 door with 5 speed manual transmission, 190000 miles. The other night I started having the problem where the power door locks will continuously lock. Now all I have to do is lift a door handle (either door) from the outside and it will start cycling automatically. I found if I use the key to lock the door (with the door opened or closed) the cycling will stop. I've pulled fuse 18 from the interior box to avoid the problem, but now I have no power door locks. Based on what I have read in this forum I will be looking for a bad connection somewhere.

My question is whether or not I might have caused this with a recent repair since it started right afterwards. I replaced the clutch master cylinder which required me to move the under hood power box (no wire disconnectons and the battery was disconnected) and work under the dash. Getting the master cylinder in is a little tight and I'm thinking I might have damaged some wiring. However, I'm not sure what wiring may have been affected by working in those areas. I'm looking for suggestions from the forum. I have looked at the wiring tunnel into the driver's door but it appears to be OK.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey, Az
      1996 XLT
      I had the same problem with my 96 XLT. I found the cause to be from running the battery down while working inside with the door opened. I don't know why that would run down the battery, but that seems to be the case. Long story short, be sure battery is charged, go through the door lock sequence in the owners manual, and you SHOLUD be OK

4. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      96 XL
      It is UNLIKELY that its a problem in the driver's door "wiring"... IF you look at the numerous posts (some with pictures), you will see that it may be a "potentially" problem splice in the rear driver passenger area..... BUT as suggested you might have issue with the module itself "cycling" for various reason. My guess, a splice problem... you can also try to "unprogram" the "autolock" feature just to see if that helps.