1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Power issues....

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Chris0830, July 14, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Chris0830

Chris0830 New Member

City, State:
    Houston
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 XLT
    So I bought a 2000 5.0 V8 AWD that ran fine, just a little lack of get-up when I first had it. A couple weeks later, I went out of country on business, and the wife took the truck in for basic servicing. They noticed that the air filter was TERRIBLY clogged (my guess for the lack of get-up), so they replaced it. When leaving the shop, my wife noticed she now had a CEL so she took it back and received codes p0155 and p0175.... O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank2, Sensor1) and System too rich (Bank 1). Now I assume I should just get the O2 sensor changed, but after reading numerous threads I want to make sure I'm not doing that for no reason.

Im confused as to why the truck ran fine (so to speak) with a FILTHY filter, but now that there's a new filter in it, im having SERIOUS problems. The problem is somewhat intermittent, at times it seems as if my V8 is only running on 3-4 cylinders and then after a few seconds of me stepping on the gas it finally kicks in all 8....rpms rev quickly and suddenly shifts up. This most noticeable when accelerating on the ramp to HWY speeds. Knowing how "well" the truck was previously maintained, i went ahead and changed the plugs/wires to see if it would help, it didnt but the plugs were in the same condition as the filter, so it wasnt a lost cause. I would love some input on the best place to start, im pretty much a novice when it comes to cars....however, im not afraid to do the work myself....I just need to be pointed in the right direction. If you guys need any more information, I'll be glad to provide what I can. Thanks!

Not sure if this helps any, but I've already disconnected the battery 15 minutes to try and reset the computer, but to no avail. Also, I bought this truck in Connecticut, so the amount of rust underneath is INSANE! If it is an O2 sensor I have to change, what is the best way to go about that? Easy project?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.