Power Liftgate doesn't raise entirely | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate doesn't raise entirely

jules1119

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
I have a 2012 Explorer and my power liftgate does not raise entirely. I noticed this about 2 weeks ago. This weekend its raise has decreased even more. I can manually raise it the rest of the way and it shuts completely manually and when powered.

I am thinking it's the hydraulic arms. Any thoughts? The brand says FoMoCo. (Ford Motor Company), but I hate to buy the arms if I am not sure that's what's causing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The height the liftgate raises is programmable. Raise it by hand to the level you want then hold down the liftgate button on the bottom of the liftgate until it beeps.

Thanks for the info. It seems odd that it would just start doing that though if it was a program issue.

Thanks again!

Yes, the height is adjustable but that shouldn't result in the liftgate opening height diminishing more and more over a short period of time. That sounds like a mechanical problem.

Peter

It's working

Thank you guys for the comments. I was able to reset the door height and it seems to be working now.

I will have to wait and see if the height keeps decreasing. However, for now all is good!

Thanks so much!!! I greatly appreciate it!

BTW....I suppose if I would have just looked at the button, it does say that it can be reset. I have never noticed it!!!

:)

It's a feature I used on my 2011 Limited. I could set it so it wouldn't hit the garage door when I opened the liftgate. Unfortunately, it is a feature that isn't available on the MKT.:scratch:

Peter

...it is a feature that isn't available on the MKT.:scratch:

Peter

They just assume that, by that point, your garage must certainly be big enough that there'd be plenty of room.

I'd be okay if I cleaned the longer side of the garage and then I could back in.:) The problem is it is full of the usual junk that accumulates in a garage. I park on the shorter side, the side that has a corner dedicated to the entrance into the lower part of the house. With the garage door closed, I have a total of 8" of clearance between the front and rear of the vehicle. Can't walk around it like I could the Explorer.:(

Peter

Power Lift Gate - Odd behaviour

Hello all,

So my power lift gate is acting strange (2013 XLT w/ 40K KM). If I use either my FOB, the gate button, or the interior button the gate will lift about 12" and stop. then if I try to open it more using the button, it will go about another 12" up and stop... It will repeat all the way to top and then refuses to close. I have to close it by hand.

I have tried enabling and disabling it in the menu; I have disconnected the battery... I don't get the warning chimes... I get the 3 "everything is ok" chimes.

Anyone experience this? :mad:

There is a way to set the lift gate to where it only opens to a certain height, have you tried resetting that?

There is a way to set the lift gate to where it only opens to a certain height, have you tried resetting that?

That was my first thought too. Open the gate and manually move it to the full open position (or however far you want it to open) then press and hold the close button on the edge of the lift gate until you hear a tone. Now try closing/opening automatically.

It's a shot in the dark, but just like sport windows loose their memory I'm sure the lift gate can too. This could be some sort of fail-safe mode.

That was my first thought too. Open the gate and manually move it to the full open position (or however far you want it to open) then press and hold the close button on the edge of the lift gate until you hear a tone. Now try closing/opening automatically.

It's a shot in the dark, but just like sport windows loose their memory I'm sure the lift gate can too. This could be some sort of fail-safe mode.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yup, tried that before as this was what I thought it was too. Oddly enough, no matter how long I hold it for I don't get a reset chime. I will try that again just to be triple sure...; nope didn't fix it.

Maybe that button is busted? Does it do anything if you just press it?

Maybe that button is busted? Does it do anything if you just press it?

If I hit the button, so far what it does is raises it up, just like what happens when I double tap the key fob... when the gate gets to the top, neither the button, key fob, or interior button do a darn thing. Will upload video to youtube to demonstrate my fun...

Have tried Resetting the Power Liftgate as explained in your Owner's Guide? If so, and it still isn't working correctly, perhaps it is the motor unit.

Peter

Have tried Resetting the Power Liftgate as explained in your Owner's Guide? If so, and it still isn't working correctly, perhaps it is the motor unit.

Peter

Yup, well assuming I followed the manual correctly. What they offer there is to cycle the menu on the dash, to try resetting the door open height using the gate button, or to disconnect the car battery. I have done all of those, but if there is something else please let me know!

Yup, well assuming I followed the manual correctly. What they offer there is to cycle the menu on the dash, to try resetting the door open height using the gate button, or to disconnect the car battery. I have done all of those, but if there is something else please let me know!

Simply take it to your dealer and have them fix it....it's under warranty.......

Rubberhead,

Thanks for the information on who to program the liftgate height. My problem was solved without needing to go to the dealer.

Once again, thanks for the leason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rubberhead,

Thanks for the information on who to program the liftgate height. My problem was solved without needing to go to the dealer.

Once again, thanks for the leason.
Glad you were able to fix this yourself saving a trip to the dealer. By the way, it is also covered in your Owner's Guide.

To set the height of the open liftgate:
1. Open the liftgate.
2. Manually move the liftgate to the desired height.
3. Press and hold the control button on the liftgate until a chime is
heard, indicating the new height has been programmed. Note: If the
liftgate position is too low, the height cannot be programmed.
The new open liftgate height will now be recalled when the power
liftgate is opened. To change the programmed height, repeat the above
procedure. Once the power liftgate is opened it can be manually moved
to a different height.

Peter

Back