power locks aren't functioning at all | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

melee320

Reaction score
City, State
hyde park
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer xlt
I don't know if anyone can help me but I'm trying to figure out what to do to fix an issue I'm having with my power locks I bought the 02 explorer about 3 years ago and they locks have never worked. not with any door in the vehicle or the key fob or the keyless entry. I replace the switches on the front doors, checked all the fuses. and nothing there isn't even any clicking. I don't know where else to check. I think theres something in the rear passenger quarter panel in the inside panel but I'm not 100% sure and if thats the issue what is it called? Again, i don't know if anyone can help me but If you have any insight that would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Good luck getting it sorted! :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Thank you so much. I will be going threw the wires tomorrow. I share many of those same issues. I just want power locks. I feel like I've gone threw everything and i dint know what else to do. I will followup tomorrow and let you know how i made out. thank you again!

Good Luck. Be very thorough. The broken/damaged wire(s) can be hard to find.

I was just talking this over with my 'hubby' and he said " he went threw the wires in the boot and they all have 100% continuity from end to end" does this change anything? or should i go threw them anyway? I typically only will except something if I've gone over it myself so more that likely i will go threw the wire but in the event that this isn't the issue what else could it be? Any suggestions?

If you need me to, I can PM troubleshooting steps from my shop manuals.

Let me know.

-- Rondo

I don't know what that means (sorry). Pm?

Sorry. Private Message.

I can't post that info in the thread due to Copyright, etc.

I was just talking this over with my 'hubby' and he said " he went threw the wires in the boot and they all have 100% continuity from end to end" does this change anything? or should i go threw them anyway? I typically only will except something if I've gone over it myself so more that likely i will go threw the wire but in the event that this isn't the issue what else could it be? Any suggestions?

Just because these wires show continuity from "end to end", they still could be intermittent. When these wires break over time from the constant flexing when opening and closing the door they can be a bear to find. Especially if more than one is defective. I have only had success after getting at the individual wires that are inside of the boot going from the body to the door. This can take some time but I would first try operating the locks by holding the button down while massaging the wiring harness in the door jamb. You can also test for voltage at the switch. A wiring drawing would be helpful here. When these wires break they can look perfectly good on the outside of the insulation but the copper wires are broken inside. You physically have to go along the wire and pull at various locations to see if the wire stretches. If it does, it is broken inside.

I would certainly test all other components first for power etc. as this can get quite involved. Your problem could very easily be elsewhere especially since the key fobs do not work. You should first get an understanding of how these various parts are integrated to determine if one would effect the other. I will try to look at a drawing.

^^^ I agree ^^^

I need to know if you have an early or late build so I send the correct troubleshooting steps.

Back