Power-off reset or a dead APIM/How to fix Sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power-off reset or a dead APIM/How to fix Sync

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
What are these things, someone said you do them when sync completed shuts off, black screen of death as he called it

I have had mine completely shut down, after hours at the dealer i have some functions back, not nav.

If I am out of town and this happens, black screen of death, what can I do without a dealer, please...

I have a bad feeling, this is not the last time this is gonna happen, if it happens when I am on a trip I will be livid...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine went black screen at 600 miles, I pulled the positive cable on the battery and everything came back. I have another thousand miles with no problems.

Mine went black screen at 600 miles, I pulled the positive cable on the battery and everything came back. I have another thousand miles with no problems.

Thanx, that would be a power reset, wonder what that other thing is, i havent looked but hoping access to the pos bat cable is easy

Its really easy to unplug. Dont unscrew anything. Just lift the pin and pull the plug.

Its really easy to unplug. Dont unscrew anything. Just lift the pin and pull the plug.

Oh boy, now i am confused, elsewhere someone says to disconnect positive battery cable, I wont be able to do that , no tools, so i would have to take it to a garage...

what is it I am unplugging? fuse? plug, pin, if you could explain in detail to me where this is, what this is, etc i would be forever grateful

lift the pin and pull the plug on the battery or the fuse? battery has cover on it, i assumed i would have to have wrench to take cable off

dumb me, of course pos or neg same result, just safer to disconnect negative

2 hours at dealer today, downloaded nav and now it is all back, the traffic and directions feature only comes up via voice though and before i could find it on screen

not sure what will happen but you can assume this will happen to you too per ford, the sony radio is malfunctioning within the system or not cooperating with it and causing the system to go dead

disconnect neg battery cable for 5 minutes should reboot, i sure hope so if it happens again as i may be 1000 miles away next time it happens, bought a 10mm wrench to loosen bolt on neg battery cable

Back