1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Power-off reset or a dead APIM/How to fix Sync

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Randys1, July 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Randys1

Randys1 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 explorer
    What are these things, someone said you do them when sync completed shuts off, black screen of death as he called it

I have had mine completely shut down, after hours at the dealer i have some functions back, not nav.

If I am out of town and this happens, black screen of death, what can I do without a dealer, please...

I have a bad feeling, this is not the last time this is gonna happen, if it happens when I am on a trip I will be livid...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BigJay1957

BigJay1957 New Member

City, State:
    Flemington, NJ
    2011 Limited on rorde
    Mine went black screen at 600 miles, I pulled the positive cable on the battery and everything came back. I have another thousand miles with no problems.

4. Randys1

Randys1 Active Member

2011 explorer
    Thanx, that would be a power reset, wonder what that other thing is, i havent looked but hoping access to the pos bat cable is easy

5. joselama

joselama New Member

City, State:
    Santo Domingo
    2011 XLT
    Its really easy to unplug. Dont unscrew anything. Just lift the pin and pull the plug.

6. Randys1

Randys1 Active Member

2011 explorer
    Oh boy, now i am confused, elsewhere someone says to disconnect positive battery cable, I wont be able to do that , no tools, so i would have to take it to a garage...

what is it I am unplugging? fuse? plug, pin, if you could explain in detail to me where this is, what this is, etc i would be forever grateful

lift the pin and pull the plug on the battery or the fuse? battery has cover on it, i assumed i would have to have wrench to take cable off

Last edited: July 4, 2011
  7. Randys1

Randys1 Active Member

2011 explorer
    dumb me, of course pos or neg same result, just safer to disconnect negative

2 hours at dealer today, downloaded nav and now it is all back, the traffic and directions feature only comes up via voice though and before i could find it on screen

not sure what will happen but you can assume this will happen to you too per ford, the sony radio is malfunctioning within the system or not cooperating with it and causing the system to go dead

disconnect neg battery cable for 5 minutes should reboot, i sure hope so if it happens again as i may be 1000 miles away next time it happens, bought a 10mm wrench to loosen bolt on neg battery cable