• Register Today It's free!

power steering BIG PROBLEM

Mrooney322

Reaction score
City, State
White plains
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006ford explorer
a few weeks back i had finally gotten around to changing my tie rods and lower ball joints, used all moog problem solver parts. the install went ok and i went about my business. a few days later i noticed a problem with my steering, first off let me say that my steering wheel is slightly ****ed to the right when i drive straight, when i would hit a bump i would get terrible bump steer. id hit a rut or pot hole and my ex would end up in the other lane. i quickly took it to get aligned, thinking that this would help. it corrected some of my problem but i was noticing that my steering wheel was moving around more than my tires were.
i would hit a bump like before but my ex wouldn't move, my steering wheel would straighten out, then it would veer off as if i had turned. i brought it back to the shop and explained the symptoms and the mechanic said that it was my rack and pinion. now if i wasnt on a budget and didnt have access to a lift i would have had it taken care of.

long story short i replaced the rack, bled the system, and now have worse steering than i did before, regardless of the alignment my steering wheel now goes limp whem driving and my ex just goes where it wants. to keep it remotely on the road i am constantly shaking the wheel to stay on the road

this only happens when in motion. when stopped or in park i can cycle through the turns just fine, no noise or odd feeling from the steering wheel

i know that this is quite lengthy and i have done a few searches but its quite hard when im not sure what im searching for. if anyone could shed some light on this that would be great, as i cannot safely leave the street i live on, let alone drive to my mechanic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you ruled out air in the power steering system? Wheels turned with the engine off? Tried driving slowly turning lock to lock?

i had went lock to lock with the car off and on, with and without the wheels on. then took it around the block twice and added some more fluid, tomorrow i may just flush and bleed the system again for good measure.

its not completely ruled out and i really hope its not something more serious

also is a vacuum pump really needed to bleed the power steering?

i had went lock to lock with the car off and on
^ NOT good.

Vacuum pump not necessary. Find an open space and be patient. Amazing how often this happens, just search. GL :thumbsup:

you bleed it with the car on and until the whine ends. when i bleed my rack and pinion it took a lot of turning the wheel back and forth, during that you could hear a lot whining and pulsing. eventually it will become smooth.

hmm i see.

and my steering is smooth when its in park, no pump whine or anything its just when i drive that it feeels like it "loses" the steering or doesn't "catch"

just an update, this morning i flushed the PS system and replaced it with the specified fluid, mercon ATF, bled the system and felt that it was better than how it felt last night. got an alignment and shes good as new now,

thanks for the input it really helped

Back