• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Issues (NEED HELP)

catchfast33

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Yes I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD with 117000 miles. The problem Im having is with the power steering. Everything has been working fine up until two days ago. My wife called me and said the steering wheel was shaking when she turned the wheel when stopped and at low speeds. I came home checked the fluid and the fluid was fine. Noticed the serpentine belt needed to be changed so I went ahead and changed it thinking the belt was slipping on the pulley, NOPE. Vibration is still there. I have also noticed when appling the brake and turning the wheel sitting still it will shake badly. I do not see any leaks in the rack and pinion or any of the hoses. Could the pump be goin bad or am I missing something. I have bled it twice with no help. Should I flush it to see if it will do any better? Please help guys! I know I am a newb to the forum but I am not a nube to cars been working on them since I was a kid and I cant figure it out. I really dont want to change the power steering pump unless I absolutely have to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two suggestions, first have your wife turn the steering wheel to make it vibrate while you look under the hood to see if you can see any reason for the problem and second if that doesn't turn up anything turn the steering wheel almost to lock with the engine running and shut the engine off. Now check to see if there is any amount of bubbles in the p/s fluid. Fords are bad about getting air in the p/s fluid if the steering wheel is turned with the engine off. If there are bubbles let them rise and then start the engine and turn the wheel the other way and shut it off again and let the foam clear.

Two suggestions, first have your wife turn the steering wheel to make it vibrate while you look under the hood to see if you can see any reason for the problem and second if that doesn't turn up anything turn the steering wheel almost to lock with the engine running and shut the engine off. Now check to see if there is any amount of bubbles in the p/s fluid. Fords are bad about getting air in the p/s fluid if the steering wheel is turned with the engine off. If there are bubbles let them rise and then start the engine and turn the wheel the other way and shut it off again and let the foam clear.
Do any of you have ANY idea how much strain you are exerting on the steering and front tires when you turn the steering wheel while the vehicle is NOT MOVING? At least be on grass or dirt when you do that, NOT On pavement. Better yet let the vehicle roll forward or backward when turning the steering wheel. Thank God it's your vehicle and not mine.

Do any of you have ANY idea how much strain you are exerting on the steering and front tires when you turn the steering wheel while the vehicle is NOT MOVING? At least be on grass or dirt when you do that, NOT On pavement. Better yet let the vehicle roll forward or backward when turning the steering wheel. Thank God it's your vehicle and not mine.

Yah bud im not that stupid i jacked the front end up when i turn the wheels from lock to lock

okay man ill try that yah i have read a lot about air gettin in the system so imma try that and let you know what happens appreciate the help

I think after 42 years as an auto tech I know a little, turning the wheels on the pavement isn't recommended to be done regularly but it's done all the time in shops everywhere for a short term diagnosis.

Back