Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Power steering pressure hose replacement, sounds easy dosent it.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by ILuv2Explorer, August 10, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ILuv2Explorer

ILuv2Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Central Alberta
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 Sport 4x4
    So I'm changing my power steering pressure hose on my 98 sport explorer 4L SOHC, access to the bottom fitting is fine, plenty of room, the top fitting from the pump itself is giving my quite a bit of grief. I have taken my throttle body, belt, and pump pully off off to make space for a wrench on the top fitting of the pressure line coming directly off the power steering pump but for the life of me just can't get this fitting to break out. I wiggled the metal tube on the line if self so there's just 2" of it connected to the fitting for extra room and so i can get my wrench on:thumbsup:, that problem solved i start pulling on the wrench, no-go:thumbdwn:.......more pulling on the wrench, nothing:thumbdwn:, smoke a cigarette and stare at fitting for 5 mins, nothing:thumbdwn:, pull on wrench even harder, not even a squeek from my shocks as i lift the front of my truck with a wrench on this fitting:thumbdwn:, the only thing I think might work is hack sawing off the last 2" of metal tubbing coming out of fitting and grinding a socket down to fit over it and put 1/2" breaker bar on it. I'm gona go evaluate the situation once again see if theres enough room to get a real pull on it, ill take a picture so you can see the crappy angle this thing goes in at.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ght198267

ght198267 New Member

City, State:
    nova scotia
    1999 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
    had a similar problem, i soak everything in Liquid Wrench for atleast 10 minutes and wire brush as much as possible, more liquid wrench. I swear by that stuff, have had a few bolts i just couldnt budge even with a breaker bar, soak em over nite and they popped right off.

4. truker

truker New Member

City, State:
    fort lauderdale florida
    1998 mercury mountaineer
    power steering hose pita!!!

I've read several post on the removal of the power steering pressure hose on the Ranger,Explorer and others with smaller motors and they all find it easy. But I have a 98 Mounty 5.0 rwd and I can't, even,get my hand in there much less a wrench etc.As always you guys have given me valuable information and so I need your help once again Thanx :usa:truker

5. truker

truker New Member

City, State:
    fort lauderdale florida
    1998 mercury mountaineer
    I need some information on the power steering pressure hose for a 98 mounty 5.0 the bottom part, is it a nut or pressed in? I've read two versions: cut the line and use a socket. heat it and pull it out with a vise grip.I can't see it, and I can't tell by feeling it. no I'm not going to buy one because my buddy works at a hydraulic shop; so if I bring him the old one he will make one up for free, can't beat that! Thanx guys:usa:truker