• Register Today It's free!

power steering question

Mike Halfway

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
'91 sport 4.0L,5.5 suspension(superlift),33x12.50 HI-tech RETREADS, Flowmaster (true duels),Pro comp manuel hubs,etc

I have my truck a little over three years and im very used to the whiny sound of my 4.0 L and power steering, but just wondering on any suggestions to minimizing the sound or eraticating it all together, any suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the pump changed on my 97. Ford had to go through three of them to get a good one.

Even this one makes a little noise.

How loud is it? Is it louder than the engine at idle? All power steering pumps make quite a bit of noise....:)

Mine quietened down considerably when I changed to synthetic PS fluid.

You have to bleed the air out of the system. Once you do that the pump will quieten down quite a bit.

Hey aldive
Other than Valvoline, are there any other brand names that make a synthetic power steering fluid? How does Valvolines synthetic work? One more thing, is the power steering pump in the X's a POS? I ask because it almost never comes up on this board, so I never really here about it. Or does it hold up well?

Originally posted by Slick Rick
One more thing, is the power steering pump in the X's a POS? I ask because it almost never comes up on this board, so I never really here about it. Or does it hold up well?

I would think it is pretty good, as it hardly ever comes up for discussion, even with all the guys here using it to turn 33" and bigger tires every day.:eek:

It may be loud, but I don't think its a POS. They rarely fail, that's why you don't read much about them. They're just very whiny..

Back