Power Windows, Fuel Gauge, Radio....all out at once | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Windows, Fuel Gauge, Radio....all out at once

Skip01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
So a lil back story....im pretty heavy into audio...so i have a pretty loud setup.

And 14v batteries which charge somewhere around 15.8-16v @ idle....had that for a few months now, and no issues.

Now i have had similar problem before, where my entire instrument cluster and windows stopped working....i found that fuse, and traced the bad wire down too the middle overhead light above rear seats....took that off and no issues til today.

So im videoing my system too post on youtube and such......and during middle of playing it just cuts out.

Ive checked all fuses under hood and under dash on drivers side....no changes.

My radio is off....power windows dont work and my fuel gauge reads too bottom and CHECK GAGE is on with 3/4 tank

Im gonna bring it too shop tomorrow and see if they can find it, cuz im out of ideas.

Anyone had this problem, i searched but could only find windows not working and it being some wire inside door jam or such....i played with a bunch of those moving them and what not....didnt seem too change.

Car runs fine, but this problem

2004 XLT V6 w/ 88k on clock

Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just went try too look at it again at night, and noticed my courtesy lights under mirrors outside blink the whole time

try searching it has been discussed previously I'm on my phone so I can't copy paste the links good luck :thumbsup:

try searching it has been discussed previously I'm on my phone so I can't copy paste the links good luck :thumbsup:

I did search....but i didnt see anything with my combination...just windows only

10 bucks paypal too the person who helps me before i bring it too the shop in the morning

search for delayed accesory, fuse 17 and the same title as your thread that should help

Ok found a few good threads, ill look tomorrow before bringing it too shop

I looked a bit tonight just now, got the boot off but didnt see a loose wire, ill get panel off tomorrow and look

Noob question....how do i check for power and ground at the master window switch

I have a DMM, do i just turn the truck on and check for AC voltage?

Checked my #17 fuse again and at almost midnight now haha, i pulled panel off and looked for broken ground wire...i found the wire but its not broken...i tugged on it from both ways and nothing.

i have been having the same problem for about 4 months on this, radio, windows, all gauges in the cluster and dome light stops working and then starts back on its on, i have checked all fuse and relays, and even pulled the cluster out of the dash and check the wiring harness and never found nothing, even took the cluster completely apart, and then back together, and then that is when i found out the 2 plugs on the back of the cluster was a little loose, easy fix i took a cable tie and tighten it around the 2 female plugs on the cluster and then another around the 2 male plugs from the wiring harness and pull them tight and for some odd reason, everything is working just fine, for the past week now, so not for sure if that may fix your problem, but it did fix mine, just a thought,

Usually windows issue is bad wiring (ground) in drivers door hinge area. 12 gauge wire being bent in half will fatigue eventually. Don't know how it could tie into radio though.

just went thru same problem. 05 explorer, radio, gas gage and power widows went out all same time. checked every fuse, none appeared to be blown. found this forum.. read page after page looking for an idea.
got it FIXED. turns out was a short in vanity mirror/ passenger side.
took apart side panel to disconnect main wiring for roof lighting(also for visor light).
then changed out fuse15 under hood and fuses 17 and 21 under dash. (even though they appeared good) while having both battery terminals removed for about 15-20 minutes.
new fuses in, shorted wiring disconnected, battery disconnected (15 minutes).... yeehaw its fixed.
thank gaunja...my windows were stuck down and it's been in the low 30s.

Back