power windows won't disengage

vett82ce

Reaction score
City, State
Rincon,GA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Hey,

My power windows on the drivers and passenger side won't disengage after they reach the top or bottom. The passenger side is not express down, but should discontinue after it's fully down or up. The drivers side is express down and it should know to stop also. I just changed the bushings to get the things working at all and was a success but now this is happening. The windows can be stopped, but only if you hit the switch in the reverse direction you were going - IE: press switch to go up, when it reaches the top the gear continues to skip along the regulator, then you hit the down button quickly and the window stops trying. Any ideas?

The passenger side is a manual switch, if the motor continues to run the switch is sticking. If the gears are skipping, you have something mechanical wrong as the motor should come to a halt when the window reaches it's position. It doesn't automatically shut off, if the switch is energized, the motor will continue to try to move the window. The auto down feature is tripped when the motor comes to a halt as well, the current flow when the motor is halted is what trips the circuit open.
If your motors continue to run, gears grinding, skipping ect, when the switch is pressed and the window is fully up or down, you have mechanical issues with the regulators.

Thanks for the two possibilities. I'm going to lean more towards the master switch for now though because the two windows are doing the same thing and they are linked by the master. These two doors being separate and the mechanics (or regulators) defecting the same way at the same time would seem to be very odd. Since they have no intermediate relationship then any malfunction in both sides at the same time could only be deemed a freak coincidence.

Replacing that master switch is an expensive "try" though for it to not be the problem after all. Do you know of any way to test that switch for my problem as described...or do you just have to "Hail Mary", buy the master and hope for the best?

P.S. I should also say: the manual switch on the passenger door will not operate the passenger window. It stopped working years ago, but the master side switch will operate the passenger window.

Back