Power Windows

Beastrider500

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS
Hi,

My buddy has a 97 XLT. His power windows quit working with the drivers window in the down position. Is there a relay that controls this function and if so where is it?

Thanks

Well, OK thanks for all your help. Guess my problem isn't bad enough.

Check for the obvious first, i.e. Fuses, power to the switch itself, etc. Provide a bit more detail too...do the other door window switches work? If not, is the "window lock" button engaged. Do the door locks work? The GEM (general electric module) has a hand in door locks and window controls, so that MAY be a problem, but not sure. Again, i'd check the fuses first, then for power to the switch and go from there.

FYI - use the "search" button FIRST, then be condescending later...i'm sure there are tons of threads on window issues and some may not help while others may have gotten you in the right direction over the weekend.

Beastrider500 said:
Well, OK thanks for all your help. Guess my problem isn't bad enough.

I also thought the sarcasm was out of place. People here don't have to help you. You will find generally, however, that people here really like to help others when they can. When a question gets buried before it gets a response (as sometimes happens), a simple "bump" or even "would someone please help?" post would be nicer.

BuffaloXplorer is right to start with the simple stuff-- I had a couple window problems with my '94 and found out the hard way (after spending money and doing a lot of work) that you have to go through the right diagnostic process.

The problem is either mechanical or electrical. The easiest thing to check are the simple electrical problems like blown fuses.

For starters though, if your buddy's window is still stuck down and he needs to drive it, you can close it in about 20-30 minutes by removing the door trim, peeling up the water shield, unbolting the motor from the regulator, pushing the window up from inside the door and then reinstalling everything. While you're in there, and before you put the motor back in, you could use a voltage meter at the motor connector (vehicle side) to see if the motor is getting power when you push the up and down switches. Both wires should read that they are grounded when you are not pushing the button and one or the other should switch to positive depending on whether you are pushing up or down-- check that all of these things are happening correctly. I had a window stuck down because the driver door master switch was not tranferring the ground connection to the wires necessary to move the window in the up direction.

If everything at the motor harness tests correctly, plug in the motor with it detached from the door. Push the buttons and see if the motor moves. If it does not, then the motor's probably bad. If it does, then you may have a bad regulator or jam up inside the door.

If everything at the motor harness does not test correctly, then you have to work back through the electrical system until you find the problem-- how you do that will depend on what the problem is and you will probably need at least a Haynes manual to give you the wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.

Back