Prefer Auto. or Manual Transmission? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefer Auto. or Manual Transmission?

Do you prefer the auto. or manual transmission?

• Manual Transmission

Votes: 177 57.5%
  • Automatic Transmission

Votes: 131 42.5%

• Total voters
Auto all the time its to much hassle to have a manual change in London traffic.
Guess I'm just lasy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had 2 Autos and 2 Sticks, and there is nothing like a Floor Shift Manual. Column shifts suck, but I had an '87 F150 with a 4 Speed Granny that would TOW! and a T handle shifter felt just right!
Gas milage is better (it takes some of the torque in the engine just to run the auto tranny), plus more power put to use. You get a better feel for what the car is actually doing in my opinion.
I guess I am also looking at the fact that I just destroyed the Auto on my EX wast week during trip to Kentucky ( in the OH MY GOD! Mountains of West Va.).

For wheeling...AUTO Baby!

I alway buy manual rigs, but my wife traded for her/our X and it was an auto.
After wheeling it for a while, I won't go back. I like a stick in something i can DRIVE, if you know what I mean.

I don't miss rowing the clutch and stick on the trails at all. Besides, lets see a full throttle shift in thick mud with a manual :burnout:

in mud or snow for that matter you are better off with a stick...

BTW why would you want to shift in mud?

I have an auto, but I wish I had a manual.

I hate to admit this, but I have not a clue about driving a stick. My family's cars are all automatic, mine included so driving a stick-shift car for me is a rare. I've driving one before but it was a disaster!! But if I get a car with a stick, such as a '95 BMW 540i with the 6-speed :p, then I don't mind doing a lot of learning and prepare a lump sum for replacing the clutch.

currently have a 2002 sport, and thats' auto but love to drive my 97 mazda truck,a 5 speed on the back roads nothing like being able to select your own gear and also drive a 26' international w/ 13 speeds so 5 gears seems like a cake walk when it's all said and done,

Manual on sports cars and sport sedans.
Auto on big ass trucks. Except the F150. That would be sweet to drive with sticks!

PS. this thread is not considered "dead" is it? I mean, its ONLY 3 months old since the last post. :p

Living in a major city, you'd think I'd be all about the automatic transmission, but I prefer manual.

My household only has auto trans equipped vehicles........I'd love to drive a manual trans again. BUT, I'M MARRIED.........AND, SHE CAN'T DRIVE A MANUAL :fire: . I'D LIKE HER TO LEARN........THOUGH, I DON'T THINK IT'LL HAPPEN;) .

JEEZ, the things we do for LOVE.

Aloha, Mark

I like a manual most times, stuck in traffic I wish I had the auto though.
My X is a stick and I dont have to worry about the wife driving it and messing it up cause she cant drive a manual. :)
I drive in sand a lot too and I think that is hard on autos.

It's not so much that I'm afraid that she'll mess it up (trans)..........it's just that she told me that last time she tried a manual......she had an accident.....it scares her.....and me too. :eek:

Aloha, Mark

Here in NYC I prefer an automatic because of all the stop and go its hard to get passed first or second gear, but out side the city I love to drive my brothers 5spd jetta.

Jefe said:
Try finding a used 95+ explorer that's manual and 4x4. . .It's nearly imposible.
I DID IT!!! lol i vote manual. i just love the manuals. ill never own and auto. driving my moms auto X is nice sometimes when backing the trailer around the corner into the garage, only thing i really like about them lol. picking your gear is alot better with the stick too. i dunno but i love the manuals, cause 3 pedals are better than 2 lol

I only know how to drive an automatic, and don't plan on getting a vehicle that is manual. It would be good to know anyway. I have an idea how it's done. I've worked on a manual transmission, and moved cars in a driveway with a manual, so I know that it's not very difficult.

manual all the way :thumbsup: only reason i got the auto, well 2 reasons, wife, and cant get a manual with the v8 so auto it was

I prefer Auto's over manuals, I don't want to be bothered shifting and using the clutch. Plus you don't got to worry about burning out the clutch. For some they might feel that its boring but steering the car is enjoyment enough for me. My 12 year old Accord has 82k miles on it, we never had problems and always good gas mileage. Auto's from now until the end for me.

I prefer Auto's over manuals, I don't want to be bothered shifting and using the clutch. Plus you don't got to worry about burning out the clutch.

I have to go the other direction with this. i have replaced three autos in three years. the third time i went 5 speed and am never goin back. Im not worried with burning out a clutch beceause i have proper gearing and on the trails 4.88 lorange and 36's is like a sunday stroll in the park. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual all the way... :p: I have several reasons too. But the main reason is just because I feel like I have more control over the vehicle and they are a hell of a lot cheaper to fix and maintain. :thumbsup:

Back