pressure to high please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pressure to high please help

Junkyarddog

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger
ok just a little back ground i bought the truck and the compressor was bad so i went ahead and replaced the compressor, air dryer , orifice tube, and condenser it was full of junk i also flushed the system as shown in one of these how to stickys ....my problem is the high side pressure goes above 300psi and the low is around 30 aout side temp was about 75deg someone please help me im at my wits end :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn that high side pressure is high...Sounds like the condensor isn't transferring heat well enough[clogs internal, fan clutch weak, debris inside the system, lack of airflow through condensor/radiator package due to missing fan shroud, maybe air in the system] but you can't say the compressor isn't working...

What did the orifice tube look like? Was the debris on it gray or black in color and kinda melted? With the low side at 30 psi what are your vent temps?

Since you did what you did already I would have replaced the condensor since I have not usually been able to remove all the debris inside the condensor even one that doesn't have black death...

I would run the system and hose the condensor down with water and see if the high side drops and how far...What kind of vacuum was pulled on the system before recharging? How long and how deep a vacuum? Just for reference I pull a 30-45 min vacuum then close all valves and let the system sit for 30 mins to see if I have any leaks...If it is good, i open everything up and pull a solid 60 min vacuum on the system...

Let us know what you find...

Damn that high side pressure is high...Sounds like the condensor isn't transferring heat well enough[clogs internal, fan clutch weak, debris inside the system, lack of airflow through condensor/radiator package due to missing fan shroud, maybe air in the system] but you can't say the compressor isn't working...

What did the orifice tube look like? Was the debris on it gray or black in color and kinda melted? With the low side at 30 psi what are your vent temps?

Since you did what you did already I would have replaced the condensor since I have not usually been able to remove all the debris inside the condensor even one that doesn't have black death...

I would run the system and hose the condensor down with water and see if the high side drops and how far...What kind of vacuum was pulled on the system before recharging? How long and how deep a vacuum? Just for reference I pull a 30-45 min vacuum then close all valves and let the system sit for 30 mins to see if I have any leaks...If it is good, i open everything up and pull a solid 60 min vacuum on the system...

Let us know what you find...

thanks for the reply
the fan cluch seems to be working well , and the shroud is there . the orifice tube had some metal and black flakes on it not a ton but there was some there no goo and it wasn't melted the low side temp was like around 70 i could not add another can because the pressure was getting to high...and yes i did replace the condenser ....i cant run the system until i change the high side service port from the system being at high psi it poped the valve off and it leaked out ....as for the vacuum i pulled a vacuum on it for 1hr idk where i should go from here .......just curious would this block anything

You are referring to the muffler?

That is usually just a chamber to muffle sound of the refrigerant flowing through the system...But I will never say never...

Since the refrigerant leaked out anyway I would open the system and blow air through the hoses, muffler, and evaporator to see if there is any blockage...And see if there is any new debris on the orifice tube...

Since you can't run the system yet you can't see if the heat transfer is lacking...But you weren't overcharged were you?

This system is using R134A right?

That is usually just a chamber to muffle sound of the refrigerant flowing through the system...But I will never say never...

Since the refrigerant leaked out anyway I would open the system and blow air through the hoses, muffler, and evaporator to see if there is any blockage...And see if there is any new debris on the orifice tube...

Since you can't run the system yet you can't see if the heat transfer is lacking...But you weren't overcharged were you?

This system is using R134A right?

yeah I mean I just asked because its on the high side before the service port so I figured if im still getting 300 then it might not be it......ill blow air there it though just to see whats up with it

no I mean there was only one can in there so i doubt it was over charged and yes the system is stock R134A

Nevermind, I realized this isnt a 12 to 134 conversion.

You probably have a weak fan clutch, or a restriction somewhere, or the orifce tube is installed backwards (doubtful)

Make sure you've got clean airflow through the condenser and the pressures you are reading correspond with the ambient air temp outside.

Here when its 100 degrees, it's not all that unusual to see head pressures approaching 300psi at idle.

:mad: vacuumed it out filled it back up and the pressures were 30 on the low and 200 on the high .....the next day i went out for a drive and turned the ac on and it would only cool to 60 outside temp was 78 so i went home and put the gauges on there and the readings were 50 on the low side and 300+ on the high the condenser was cool and not hot at all :( idk what to do from here guys

O and another thing when i shut the ac off to take the gauges off the high side dropped to 50 and the low side went up too 80 idk if that means anything

do you have the right orifice tube? One for a Ford and not for a GM?

Are there any frost spots in the system other than the evaporator?

do you have the right orifice tube? One for a Ford and not for a GM?

Are there any frost spots in the system other than the evaporator?

No cold spots ...and the part number I have is Murray - A/C Orifice Tube
Part Number: 38621 from Oreilly

Back