• Register Today It's free!

Pricing for pre-orders

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
While I understand that some are entitled to Ford-special pricing or special relationships with the dealership netting discounts, what are others paying for ordering on the new 2020? MSRP?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I understand that some are entitled to Ford-special pricing or special relationships with the dealership netting discounts, what are others paying for ordering on the new 2020? MSRP?

Nobody should ever pay more then invoice for an Explorer, relationship or not. They are way too common at 250k built a year to command anything more then invoice.

I am debating on reordering through someone else now as they offered Invoice less holdback + $500. So essentially $1,300 under invoice with only a $100 doc fee.

Surely you can't mean now? I can see paying invoice maybe 6 months from now. One dealer I have been emailing seems to balk at any suggestion of a discount unless I qualify for a Ford Plan. Dismissed my offer of $1000 under MSRP.

Surely you can't mean now? I can see paying invoice maybe 6 months from now. One dealer I have been emailing seems to balk at any suggestion of a discount unless I qualify for a Ford Plan. Dismissed my offer of $1000 under MSRP.

Yes, right now I can get a ST for $1,300 under invoice (invoice - holdback + $500). That is only because it is an ST. They will do all other trims at Invoice - holdback. There are several dealers that play the Walmart game. Sell as low as possible and go after volume to get Ford bonuses on the back end and that is how they decide to make their profit.

Only catch is I have to reorder through him and cancel my current order. Not sure if I want to wait in line again till what I would guess is August delivery.

Oh, I would get any available rebates as well.

PS, welcome to the forum.

OK, thanks for sharing. I guess I will keep on trying.

Is Ford X plan a good deal on 2020 ST?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Is Ford X plan a good deal on 2020 ST?

It's about $100 over invoice. It's an easy way to get close to invoice without negotiating if you are eligible for it.

OK, thanks for sharing. I guess I will keep on trying.

Are you eligible for Xplan? IF not, I have a guy in Michigan that will sell you at invoice less rebates.

Are you eligible for Xplan? IF not, I have a guy in Michigan that will sell you at invoice less rebates.

Not eligible for any plan. Would like to get it locally so I can trade in my current car. Thanks for the offer though.

Yes, right now I can get a ST for $1,300 under invoice (invoice - holdback + $500). That is only because it is an ST. They will do all other trims at Invoice - holdback. There are several dealers that play the Walmart game. Sell as low as possible and go after volume to get Ford bonuses on the back end and that is how they decide to make their profit.

Only catch is I have to reorder through him and cancel my current order. Not sure if I want to wait in line again till what I would guess is August delivery.

Invoice minus holdback? what's holdback?

What I noticed from when purchasing my 16 sport. The difference between MSRP and Invoice was Sport was 4K+. Now for the ST, the difference between MSRP and Invoice price is only at around 2k.

So don't expect to save too much, maybe if the MSRP is 60K, you will pay 58K, maybe 57,500. There is no way I will be able to get a killer deal that I got on my Sport 16 MSRP 49K, without moonroof, custom order and I paid only 44K. I got about 4.5K off.

Got a tire and rim warranty for 5 years for additional 800 bucks but I have not used it. I am glad that Ford is ditching these horrible Hankook tires. Only after 25K miles, I can already see these Hankook tires peeling.

What I noticed from when purchasing my 16 sport. The difference between MSRP and Invoice was Sport was 4K+. Now for the ST, the difference between MSRP and Invoice price is only at around 2k.

So don't expect to save too much, maybe if the MSRP is 60K, you will pay 58K, maybe 57,500. There is no way I will be able to get a killer deal that I got on my Sport 16 MSRP 49K, without moonroof, custom order and I paid only 44K. I got about 4.5K off.

Got a tire and rim warranty for 5 years for additional 800 bucks but I have not used it. I am glad that Ford is ditching these horrible Hankook tires. Only after 25K miles, I can already see these Hankook tires peeling.

Holdback is what Ford pays the dealer after the vehicle is sold. They get paid 3% of MSRP. Here is what I was quoted

58,955 - MSRP Before Destination Charge
56,561 - Invoice Before Destination Charge
1,729 - Estimated Holdback
(500) - Profit
-------
55,332 - Advertised Sale Price (Less Public Any Rebate At Point Of Sale)
1,095 - Destination

Essentially $3,600 off MSRP plus rebates

Holdback is what Ford pays the dealer after the vehicle is sold. They get paid 3% of MSRP. Here is what I was quoted

58,955 - MSRP Before Destination Charge
56,561 - Invoice Before Destination Charge
1,729 - Estimated Holdback
(500) - Profit
-------
55,332 - Advertised Sale Price (Less Public Any Rebate At Point Of Sale)
1,095 - Destination

Essentially $3,600 off MSRP plus rebates

Yes, 3.6K off MSRP sounds like a decent deal. What plus rebates? Like the X plan or something like that? I don't know if they will have any rebates when this truck lunches. Gotta check out that X plan pricing. Hopefully I will b eligible for it.

Yes, 3.6K off MSRP sounds like a decent deal. What plus rebates? Like the X plan or something like that? I don't know if they will have any rebates when this truck lunches. Gotta check out that X plan pricing. Hopefully I will b eligible for it.

They will have something... Might just be $500 but there will be something.

Just an FYI for those cross shopping with the Aviator, Ford's holdback is 3% as mentioned, but Lincoln does not have a holdback.

Dealer wants 10% down on ST order because I wanted Red??? WTF

lol... that doesn't even make sense.

Nobody should ever pay more then invoice for an Explorer, relationship or not. They are way too common at 250k built a year to command anything more then invoice.

I am debating on reordering through someone else now as they offered Invoice less holdback + $500. So essentially $1,300 under invoice with only a $100 doc fee.

@blwnsmoke[/USER] could I place an order through your guy and get that deal??? I want the ST w/Street Pack, Technology Package and Moonroof...still debating the color.
Its time for me to upgrade my '03 Mercury Mountaineer Premier (307k on the odometer and counting), but I suspect the dealers would rather push people towards the numerous 2019s they have on their lots rather than give a deal.
I've spoken to one dealership and he kinda hinted that there is a lot of buzz around the ST so they weren't pressed to take much off...

You got 25K miles! Wow I only got 20K on my 2016 Explorer. Went with Michelin sports. What a difference. Like driving a different vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@blwnsmoke[/USER] could I place an order through your guy and get that deal??? I want the ST w/Street Pack, Technology Package and Moonroof...still debating the color.
Its time for me to upgrade my '03 Mercury Mountaineer Premier (307k on the odometer and counting), but I suspect the dealers would rather push people towards the numerous 2019s they have on their lots rather than give a deal.
I've spoken to one dealership and he kinda hinted that there is a lot of buzz around the ST so they weren't pressed to take much off...

They are going to make approximately 50,000 STs a year. Not something that will be hard to come by. No reason for a premium on the price compared to the other trims.

Back