Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Problem with Cobra CB

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by J91FORD, July 14, 2000.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. J91FORD

J91FORD Active Member

a frind gave me a CB it is a Cobra 29GTL
    So i figured i would hook it up im my garage for fun
    (kinda like the Dukes of Hazard :D )

so i hooked up to a 12volt battery (charged) it turned on but i cant hear anything not even static I even hooked it up to my k40 on my explorer thinking it was the antenna
    is there something i m missing here? im to too firmiliar with cb's is there an easy solution to it?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. J91FORD

J91FORD Active Member

i also pluged in my speaker i have in my explorer to if it would work ... nothing

4. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 XLT
    CB: No Noise (recieve)

J91,

Hopefully I don't insult your intellegence with the following basic trouble shooting preocedures, but you said you weren't too familiar w/ CB's, so please don't be offended, aslo: Also, I don't know that model Cobra too well, but here goes:

1. Does anything light up on the front panel: i.e., meter, channel numbers, pilot lite etc. to indicater power to the radio?

if no: A. Re-check your power hook up , black wire to Neg (-). red to Pos (+).
    B. Check at the fuse to see if its good, and no corrosion in the holder, etc.
    C. If still no lights, possibly someone reversed the power polarity last time, and blew the internal protection diode.
    2. IF lites come on, Check the squelch control: rotate fully counter clockwise to "open it up" (maximum signal thru ).

3. Still no noise?, check to see if radio has a "P.A." switch. Turn it OFF. (PA stands for Public Address and lets you use your radio for just that, through a special external speaker (not just the remote) If the PA is on, you won't recieve any signals.

4. Does the radio have an "RF Gain" control if so, rotate fully clockwise for max reciever gain (recieved signals). Not to me confused with a "mic gain" control.

5. Also, most basic, check the "volume control" setting. :)

6. If the radio has a Mode switch, ie' ssb, usb, etc. set to the "AM" position.

7. Check for a speaker switch, since you have an external speaker in the Expl, hook this up again, and check for an External or "EX" speaker position switch.

Hope this all helps,

5. Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

City, State:
    GA
    '93 Ranger XLT
    One more thing -

Is the microphone plugged in? I had a Cobra radio way back when, and without the mike plugged in, the radio wouldn't work. Never could understand why it was wired like that.

6. J91FORD

J91FORD Active Member

well for one you wont insult my intellegence i know nothing about cb's just the basic hook up. :D

i have power the lights and all are on but no sound i checked everything you have listed... nothing ummmmm....

7. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
    '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
    You're leaving out the most obvious answer.

Maybe you are learning why your friend didn't mind giving it away and wasn't interested in keeping it himself :rolleyes:

[Edited by GJarrett on 07-17-2000 at 02:43 PM]

8. J91FORD

J91FORD Active Member

maybe :D