Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Problem with rear license plate bracket

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by DraftEdison, January 11, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DraftEdison

DraftEdison New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
      Has anyone changed or added anything to their rear license plate bracket? The bottom of the plate on my EX is vibrating and getting caught in the wind causing a rattling noise at highway speeds. Anyone know if you can swap out the rubber pieces that hold the plate with a different nut/bolt combo to keep the bottom half of the plate from moving? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Explorer XLT 17

Explorer XLT 17 Member

City, State:
      Plant City, Florida
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Perhaps a sturdy frame around the plate would suffice, or, maybe add self stick rubber bumpers to back of plate or onto existing bumpers.

4. Exit32

Exit32 Elite Explorer

Media:
      2018 Explorer Platinum
      I added a nice stainless-steel frame to my license plate, and it required that I use four screws to hold it to the rear of my Explorer. I removed the factory rubber bumpers from the lower holes and replaced them with snap-in nylon inserts that accommodate license-plate screws. You can buy the snap-in inserts at any auto-parts store. BTW, I always use stainless-steel screws to attach my license plates. I hate seeing rusty streaks caused by cheap, corroding screws exposed to the elements -- especially winter road salt.

5. DraftEdison

DraftEdison New Member

16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
      Exit32 how bad was it to get them out? Are they screwed in there? The rubber pieces. Can you snap a pic so I can get a better feel for what you did? Thanks all for the input.

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Found this using the Forum's 'Search' feature. Rear license plate hardware

Peter

7. Exit32

Exit32 Elite Explorer

Media:
      2018 Explorer Platinum
      You can remove the factory rubber "bumpers" from the two lower license-plate holes by grasping each with your fingers and giving a tug. After removal, you'll see two square holes that are perfect to accommodate snap-in nylon inserts. You can keep the rubber bumpers (like I did) and put them back into your Explorer when it's time to trade it or sell it.

Here's a photo that shows my original rubber bumpers and the white snap-in nylon inserts I used to replace them. No tools or drilling required!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mount Pleasant, SC
      2015 Explorer XLT
      I had to do that on my '15. I don't know why they changed, but my '13 had all 4 instead of the rubber plugs. I was instantly annoyed by my license plate not being fully secure.