Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Problem

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by DBVIII, July 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DBVIII

DBVIII New Member

City, State:
      Hartford, SD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2007 Sport Trac XLT
      So I'm having an extremely weird problem. I bought my truck in may and never had a problem with it. The truck had remote start, but that was the only aftermarket thing on the truck. I drove from south dakota all the way to california and never had a problem. Once I got down here things got weird. When I turn the truck on it starts just fine. I start to drive, and the truck will shut off all the electronics on the inside and turn on random warning indications. After a few seconds, all of the electronics will come back on. It may do that a couple times and then be fine. Its even killed my truck a couple times. But once its done it, it usually runs fine. If I use the window switches, headlights, or blinkers, it does the same thing. I removed the remote start, and didn't have the problem for about a week, and then it did it for a few days, stopped for a week, and now I'm having the problem again. Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong or how to fix it?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Speedytech7

Speedytech7 New Member

City, State:
      Seattle
      1997 Ford Explorer XLT
      Perhaps Battery

I know when I replaced my battery, i realized the connections were super lame on the stock connectors, i think you have a battery connection issue. try tightening the connectors or buying aftermarket connectors and replacing the stock ones.

4. GreenMando

GreenMando Active Member

City, State:
      Columbia, CA
      '08 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 V8
      That was my first thought was battery connections.

5. DBVIII

DBVIII New Member

City, State:
      Hartford, SD
      2007 Sport Trac XLT
      The problem with that theory its that the headlights and such are still running when I have said problem. Me and a friend were diagnosing it today while reading through the owners manual and think we have it narrowed down to a problem with the interior fuse panel, as all of the stuff that has/causes the problem is located on that panel, including the fuel pump relay, which would cause the truck to stall

6. wanna1

wanna1 Member

2007 XLT
      I would also check all the chassis grounds. Intermittent grounding can cause some VERY WEIRD electrical problems - I speak from experience.

7. MichiTracR

MichiTracR New Member

City, State:
      Michigan
      2007 Sport Trac Limited
      I've had the same thing happen to me in the past as well. After some research, it seems that this isn't very uncommon and is due (at least in part/some cases) to a glitch in the cluster. The first few symptome were just weird indicators, but then finally the truck wouldn't start. A simple battery disconnect/reconnect resets things, and it hasn't happened since.

8. 10uhcST

10uhcST New Member

City, State:
      E TN
      2010 Ltd V8 2WD
      it may also be a weak battery that is really weak after starting it. newer model vehicles with all the electronic "stuff" can act weird when the power supply is not stable or inconsistent.

9. xero2099

xero2099 Member

City, State:
      Somerville, MA
      08 Sport Trac xlt v6
      I would get the battery tested first then i would check to make sure the terminals for the battery are clean as well i had similar issues with an older car where randomly it wouldn't start and i would have to jump start it it turned out that one of the battery connections was very loose

10. DBVIII

DBVIII New Member

City, State:
      Hartford, SD
      2007 Sport Trac XLT
      The battery is brand new when I bought the truck about 3 months ago, its a motorcraft battery. I was told by a mechanic that it is most likely a diode on the back side of the ignition that may wiggle loose and cause the exact problems I'm experiencing. And also a warning to anyone, if you find yourself in santa maria california, do NOT take your vehicle to santa maria ford lincoln. Just my two cents.