Problems after power steering pump install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems after power steering pump install

Jromero777

Reaction score
City, State
I live in sedona az now grew up in San Diego CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Limited
About 2 weeks ago i had to replace the power steering pump on my 94 limited X i now have a chirp from the belt i presume. at a local shop they told me that it was probably some fluid go on the belt and it should go away in a couple days. now 2 weeks later it seems to be getting worse. It used to go away after everything warmed up about 5 miles down the road now it happens any time i accelerate.
I also notice the idle is a bit rough now, any chance this is all related to the PS pump replacement.

I now a little about cars and working on them this is my first 4x4, Used to work on imports. Any ideas would be great

Did you bleed all the air out of the pump correctly after installing? It's important to do so, otherwise the system can get all frothy with air in the fluid and possibly lead to pump death. The squealing may be the pump itself so check the fluid level.

Did you use Type F ATF if it was a stock pump, or the suggested/required fluid if it was some other kind? There are replacement pumps that require ATF or power steering fluid be used instead of Type F.

Did you use a good belt, or the old belt, which might be stretched and worn out? If the belt slips and squeaks, replace it with a new one. If the squeak is still there, find out where it's coming from. It could be completely unrelated to the power steering. The tensioner and idler pulleys are a common source of squeaks when their bearings go. An easy and cheap solution is to remove the pulleys, press/pound out the sealed bearing, and get a replacement at the local parts or hardware store, using the number on the bearing to get a generic replacement to press in. Aftermarket pulleys with bearings are also available, but avoid the plastic ones.

P.S. Pulley alignment to eliminate belt squeal.

Fore / aft location of the pulley on the power steering pump shaft is critical for correct belt alignment and to eliminate belt chirp or squeal.

Make sure when installing or re-installing the pulley that the pull off groove is facing front and is flush with the end of the shaft (+/- .010 in.).

Having the same problem. I replaced the PS pump, tensioner, and idle pulley. New belt, bled power steering (no air). Sprayed PB Blaster on new ps pump pulley and no noise for a few minutes. Wondering if one of two possible problems. One, bought a bad pump. Or a really bad one. I had crashed my truck into a guard rail after hitting black ice. Knocked my truck out of allignment. Took it to a body shop. They said they realigned it and it went back into specs. Replaced my fog lights and impact bar. Noise started the day I picked up my truck. It was drivable before I took it in and no noise. Any Ideas. No steering problems, grinds or thumps.

Back