Problems Installing New Stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problems Installing New Stereo

Obiwanjacobi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I Recently bought a new stereo to replace my factory unit. I bought the correct wiring harness, and all the wires are connected correctly. The only exceptions are a blue with white stripe wire, which had no matching hookup. When I turn the car on, The unit is receiving power. The display turns on and it even receives a radio signal, the problem is is doesn't seem to be out putting audio. Nothing can be heard from the radio, or aux inputs, even when the volume is al the way turned up. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

From reading online, people have said that the blue/white wire I mention was for the amp. If I replaced another wire (Say the power antenna cable?) with the amp cable could that fix it?

Really I don't even need radio. The only reason I wanted to replace the radio was so that I could plug in my phone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The blue/white wire from the factory harness needs to be connected to remote on of the radio harness. Generally it's the blue wire on a radio.

The blue/white wire from the factory harness needs to be connected to remote on of the radio harness. Generally it's the blue wire on a radio.

Solid blue typically has voltage when the radio is on for powered antennas. Better off hooking the blue/white on harness side up to the red ignition wire that has voltage on all sources.

Solid blue typically has voltage when the radio is on for powered antennas. Better off hooking the blue/white on harness side up to the red ignition wire that has voltage on all sources.

Do NOT do this. This will force the amp to be constantly on. It'll drain the battery and could possibly lead to a fire from the heat generated being on 24/7.

The whole point of hooking remote on to the remote feed for the amp is to ensure the amp is on when the radio is on. It doesn't need to be on constantly.

Do NOT do this. This will force the amp to be constantly on. It'll drain the battery and could possibly lead to a fire from the heat generated being on 24/7.

The whole point of hooking remote on to the remote feed for the amp is to ensure the amp is on when the radio is on. It doesn't need to be on constantly.
Nope. Yellow is constant voltage. Red is voltage with key turned on. Blue will only have voltage on am/fm. Red will be on for aux,cd,usb, whatever and has no voltage when key is off. I am using standard wire harness colors of course, OEM wire colors are different and not applicable.

Nope. Yellow is constant voltage. Red is voltage with key turned on. Blue will only have voltage on am/fm. Red will be on for aux,cd,usb, whatever and has no voltage when key is off. I am using standard wire harness colors of course, OEM wire colors are different and not applicable.

Blue is on whenever the head unit is on, that's not true.
You know what happens when an amp turns on before the radio? Try it, then we'll talk. :)

Blue is on whenever the head unit is on, that's not true.
You know what happens when an amp turns on before the radio? Try it, then we'll talk. :)

Ok, let's chat. Radio uses red ignition wire to turn on and off. How would the amplifier turn on before the radio if they are using the same trigger wire? Some cheap ebay radios will not have blue/white and that is when using the red wire would be a solution.
And standard CEA colors are blue for antenna and blue white for amp turn on. That's why they are labeled as such. Any multimeter can verify that. Why would you send voltage to a power antenna when am/fm is not on? That is why is only sends voltage then.
I mean, take it for what you want. Only have 18+ years doing this for a living and am 1 of 10 Master certified installers in Illinois. Chances are I have verified this many, many times.
So break out that multimeter (not a test light, they draw too much currnet and can damage components) and check it for yourself.

In the original post he asks why there is no sound, ,, that would be cause being a 95 Explorer it probably has the factory amp option therefore the blue wire should be connected to a switched wire on the wiring from the stereo for the amp to come on,

on the deck it will be a blue wire, and on the FACTORY HARNESS OF A 95 IT SHOULD BE BLUE TOO,,

Turn an amp on, then turn the source on, enjoy the pop you get.

If you're a master installer installing eBay radios, that's an awesome rep to have.

A quality radio takes a little bit longer to turn on than an amp, due to the components and system it uses. That's why the radio should power on an amp, not the vehicle.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you over this anymore. Continue your eBay installs.

Turn an amp on, then turn the source on, enjoy the pop you get.

If you're a master installer installing eBay radios, that's an awesome rep to have.

A quality radio takes a little bit longer to turn on than an amp, due to the components and system it uses. That's why the radio should power on an amp, not the vehicle.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you over this anymore. Continue your eBay installs.

No argument. Just making sure people get correct information. I think you mis-read my answer anyways. I was referring to the harness coloring from aftermarket radio. Not the wire harness on the vehicle side. It's ok, people hear what they want to hear sometimes. I am here to help.

The blue/white wire is the power control wire it connects to the remote terminal of a amp if you are not running a amp the wire needs to be taped off and not hooked to nothing. If you got no sound it has nothing to do with that wire. now that being said

where did you get the harness for the new radio at?

I bought one from walmart that did not work took it back ordered one online and it worked fine. mine was for a 93 explorer

just so people know wire coloring for 95

Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Violet
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black/Light Green
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Blue (If Equipped)
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Front Speakers Size: N/A
Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Light Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Orange
Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Tan/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Pink

No argument. Just making sure people get correct information. I think you mis-read my answer anyways. I was referring to the harness coloring from aftermarket radio. Not the wire harness on the vehicle side. It's ok, people hear what they want to hear sometimes. I am here to help.

Meh, for some reason Schoche (I can never spell that) uses blue as their blue/white in the harness for some cars. That's the most recent kit I've used so that's why I said generally blue. I think they use orange or orange/white for power antenna. Something really stupid. When you actually have to read what the color of the wire is for, you know it's a great kit.. /sarcasm.

Back