• Register Today It's free!

Problems sourcing manual trans

LAWG_rider

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
The Tennessee hills have finally killed my a4ld. I am taking the leap and swapping in a 5 speed.

I have gotten everything the threads say I need except for the computer, pedals, and the transmission it self. The problem I am having is the yards I have talked to in my town have to get a transmission from somewhere else. And all the ones they can get are refurb or rebuilt and cost 600-700 bucks. The pull-a-parts around here are too far for a drive just to find they don't have what I am looking for.

Any help from a TN forum member on if that price is good or anywhere I should look would be great. Or if anyone has been to the Nashville or Knoxville pull-a-part recently and seen a ranger or x with 4x4 and a stick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And all the ones they can get are refurb or rebuilt and cost 600-700 bucks
That really is not bad $ for a rebuilt or reman 5 speed trans. My rebuilt one I had was $1200, & a reman I also had in another 1st gen was $900 plus I had to pay shipping.

The Tennessee hills have finally killed my a4ld. I am taking the leap and swapping in a 5 speed.

Any help from a TN forum member on if that price is good or anywhere I should look would be great. Or if anyone has been to the Nashville or Knoxville pull-a-part recently and seen a ranger or x with 4x4 and a stick.

Found this in Nashville CL... it's in Hickman County (not sure how far it is from you)

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2642411815.html

Honestly if you had the funds I'd pick up a whole truck and then you have everything you need and then some.

That's a good deal on a rebuild. The cheapest I could find was a reman for $900. My 5 speed is fine, but makes a gear noise cause the previous owner didn't know about maintained. Every fluid, EVERY fluid was black and low level. Except the front diff was chocolate milk.
Flushed everything and it seems fine except for the gear noise from my tranny tail shaft.

Back