• Register Today It's free!

Problems with left headlight

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
My message center gave me the "check headlights" error last night, and sure enough, the left light wasn't lit. So I went to "the zone" (hate that place) and bought a replacement bulb... AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. What can it be? Aren't both bulbs on the same circuit (fuse). I'm about to go get my Chiltons, but I figured you guys could help me faster than going upstairs and finding the manual (actually haven't used it in Weeks!!):D

Thanks guys!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, each headlight is on a separate fuse.

It's either the fuse or the "Headlamp Out Module" in the message center itself. All you have to do is to replace the module and it'll work again. I'll give ya more details later because I'm taking a little break from studying.

ugh... it's not the fuse.

Can you give me more details about the module?

Any other guesses?

If your 95 is like the 97 there are 3 fuses. In the interior fuse panel fuse 33 is a 15A which supplies high beam power for both headlights. Fuse 4 (10A) supplies power via the Lamp Out Warning Module to the low beam LH headlight. Fuse 8 (10A) supplies power via LOWM to low beam RH.

If it isn't fuse #4, or a bad connection, then it is likely the Lamp Out Warning Module.

so how do I check the Lamp out warning module???

Originally posted by Michigander
so how do I check the Lamp out warning module???

I checked on my factory manual CD last night. There is no specific component test listed for the Lamp Out Warning Module (LOWM).

The first thing I would do is verify that you are not getting voltage at the LH headlamp. Assuming that you are not, the problem is either wiring or the module. There are two connectors between the headlamp and the module. Both look like a PITA to get to; C148 is located under the hood, rh rear of engine compartment; C292 is a monster connector with 66 pins located under the center of the Instrument Panel. The LOWM is located inside the center console. If you have no voltage to headlight conn, then I would find the LOWM and test for voltage at the connector on the LOWM. Pin 1 is LH low beam input Ckt 1055 (W/LG). Ground is Pin 9 ckt 57 (BK). LH low beam output is Pin 11 ckt 160 (DB/W). If you have 12V between Pin 1 and 9, but 0V between Pin 11 and 9, then your LOWM is hosed. Otherwise you have a wiring problem. You will probably need to do the test between pin 11 and 9 with the connector plugged into the LOWM.

Good luck

Ok.... I still haven't fixed this due to lack of time and I pretty much never drive while I'm at school... but the high beams work on the left headlight, but not the low beams..... Does that help anyone??? I don't know where to go......

Headlight Switch?

I don't know about Ford products, but my Nissan pickup had the Headlight switch go bad, and only the drivers light would work on high beam- I wired around it (cause I very rarely used high beams...:eek: ) Anyway, after exhausting all other options, that may be something else to look at...

Hope this helps...

Back