Procedure for Periodic Maintenance Transmission 5-Automatic(5R55S) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Procedure for Periodic Maintenance Transmission 5-Automatic(5R55S)

MaxMountaineer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
Hi guys,

My Mercury Mountainer V6, AWD, 4.0 L., SOHC, Transmission 5-Automatic(5R55S) has been performing some strange in the automatic transmision.

The efects are next:

1.- High RPMs for transitioning from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd speed. I push the accelerator in normal way (I dont like to push as drag racer) and the rpms shows from 2300 to 2500 rpm in each transition. I was thinking about the low level oil but it is no so because the transition goes well because doesn't sound slip in the gearbox.

2.- Sometimes, in 4th and 5th speed, it can be adverted one crank, and it felts as a hit.

Somebody told me that I need to change the filter and new oil.

Do you know what is the procedure to do this maintenance or you have some additional recommendations or experience.

Thanks a lot.

Sounds like you need to check the fluid level.

On the oil pan, you'll find a drain plug that has a Allen bolt in the center. Grab some MerconV, I prefer Redline.

Things you'll need
  • One gallon container MerconV
  • One oil hand pump that screws into gallon container
  • Socket and Allen wrench assortment for drain plug
  • Barbed refill fitting for trans (I bought mine at summit before learning that dorman has a fitting for $0.38 that works.

Remove the entire plug, let the fluid drain out.
When it's done, replace the plug.
Remove the center allen head bolt from the plug and insert the barbed refill tube.
Hook your pump tube up to the fitting (slip-on) from the hand pump you've installed on your gallon of fluid.
Pump fresh fluid into the trans through this center bolt passage.
Pull the tube and catch the fresh excess fluid.

This must be done on a level surface! The trans fluid will drain out and stop draining when it is at the proper level..*there is no dipstick to check the fluid with, this is the procedure for proper fluid maintenance.

Give it a shot. Sorry that I do not have the exact size socket and Allen wrench you'll need. A good tool assortment will get you there however!

I believe the inner drain plug is a T30.

Back