Project: Paxton Charged 4.0 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: Paxton Charged 4.0

Okay so as many know, I've been planning on some type of boost for my truck for awhile. I went through a couple turbo options, but when it came down to it.. the paxton kit (i knew a place to get a brand new one) just made the most sense in terms of easy to setup, time, and reliability. This truck gets driven every day (although in the winter it'll be my b2 going out) so i wanted something i knew would not over boost or fail in a major way.

Motor this is going on is a built 4.0, 98TM heads p&p stage 3 on a 94 bottom end (result is 10:1 compression), with the 422 cam and some intake work, full exhaust.

Parts getting added.. the blower of course, some 42lb injectors, and a lightning maf. I've got a tune from when i had the n/a motor dyno'd, basically pulling some timing and dropping the a/f to 11.5 ish.

anyways.. i started on a few preliminary items yesterday.. battery is now in the bed and the blower test fitted.. ill need to get some lines made so that i can relocate the abs unit up towards the front of the battery tray (you'll see it's def in the way)..

on to the pics!

91c72adc.jpg

3ed72b4a.jpg

3bc8ce2b.jpg

9dc0b322.jpg

339fa1a0.jpg

as you can tell.. the dang abs pump thingy is in the way! but anyways.. ill just get some lines made and move the pump to the front of the battery tray.. as you can see in the picture there is a ton of room up there now

p.s.... i can't remember if i put up an ad for the nitrous or volant intake over here.. but i will soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ebay special. intake temps were 120 - 130 on a coolish day. Today the ambient temp was 65, intake temps about 70

So its a air to air? Wow thats real good,even before ic or maybe im use to roots temps.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

281-Incredible!!!

yeah it's air to air.. and it's probably coming back off until i have more time to mess with it. for it to be reliable the pipes need to be bead rolled so they don't come off (had that happen today) and the air fuel is wack at cruising now so not sure if there is a boost leak or something.. but it's going back to non inter cooled until i wanna mess with it again. idk, the drivability was perfect before, and now it's not.. and i don't like it haha

I can see it being pretty tough to find the leak. Too bad. maybe you will find a way to preasurize the intercooler and tubing with it off the truck.

im gonna build a little leak tester and see if i can find where it leaks from.. if i can great, if not well o well i guess

Im sure you will find the leak. Lets just hope its not inside the air to air radiator.

Yes I agree, if it isn't in the cooler I should be about to take care of it

Yes I agree, if it isn't in the cooler I should be about to take care of it

All ic have some loss plus the added pipe,maybe the cheap ebay ic has a even greater loss

The problem isn't "loosing boost" persay.. I still make what I made before.. The issue is there is air getting out while at a steady cruise that is causing driveability issues

The problem isn't "loosing boost" persay.. I still make what I made before.. The issue is there is air getting out while at a steady cruise that is causing driveability issues

Huh i would think if air is getting out then it would effect boost levels. I would think that it doesnt necessarily "losses boost" but the cfm would be lower,takes longer to move the air and slower to build boost.again just talking out loud,no facts behind my rambling.

Yes but that stuff doesn't effect out of boost driveability.. But idk, bought parts to make aboost leak tester for$3.50 so ill see what I find tonight

Yes but that stuff doesn't effect out of boost driveability.. But idk, bought parts to make aboost leak tester for$3.50 so ill see what I find tonight

Yea i dont really know just talking out loud and trying to learn a little to;)right on show some pics on how you make it,would be great to see.sounds like your on a mission to find it:)lol

Bringing this back current, got any possible pics for the plumbing of your intercooler, I can't imagine how you did it. I'm about to do a possible all out power build, found a guy that has a crate motor from ford brand new never installed!!! 96 block new everything.

Bringing this back current, got any possible pics for the plumbing of your intercooler, I can't imagine how you did it. I'm about to do a possible all out power build, found a guy that has a crate motor from ford brand new never installed!!! 96 block new everything.

Mine is a plate system. .it wouldn't work for yours..do you got w/m? Ever thought about nos??..if you want all out power a small nos shot would do BIG numbers,also helps cool..

But yes i have tons of pictures if you want them

Nitrous.... Wasn't trying to look at that.... What are some things I can do to a brand new stock bottom end that will help make it last to a supercharged life?

Nitrous.... Wasn't trying to look at that.... What are some things I can do to a brand new stock bottom end that will help make it last to a supercharged life?

Why not?want to make big power then thats the key..people make twice the power with small shots,75 shots making upwards of 140ish to the ground..NX has a very cheap kit that im gonna run (protron)

Sohc oil pan and m328 pump is about all you need..the rods will snap before anything else breaks

Man had to read back through this whole thread to remember everything. .this was long ago and still a cool build :)..i dont run my sc on my explorer no more and have come a long way on the ohv..

Yeah I changed a lot too, have a few projects now and the explorer is towards the weak side of projects so this can help save it or get me more money or attention on a sale. Y you drop the supercharger?

Yeah I changed a lot too, have a few projects now and the explorer is towards the weak side of projects so this can help save it or get me more money or attention on a sale. Y you drop the supercharger?

I didnt..its being used on my ranger/race truck..lol ive built a one off prototype ohv,worked with JE pistons and Manley..got about 20k into that build and should be pushing well over 500hp

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382711

One more thing to ask....are there desired gasket set for us forced induction guys? JD thanx for all the info, greatly appreciated!

Back