Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

pros and cons 4.0 vs 5.0

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by eckerd_explorer, January 24, 2005.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. eckerd_explorer

eckerd_explorer Active Member

City, State:
    St. Petersburg Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT 30" XTR's
    hey guys, i'm in to process of purchasing an explorer 96-00 also going to be moving across the country to florida, i've been really set on getting an all wheel drive 5.0 but i may have to settle with a 4.0 v6.
    i'd like to get the 5l for the power because i'd like to have a little fun, but like i said i may have to settle for the 4l.
    is there a huge difference? i might be towing a small trailer, and like i said i'm going to want to have a little fun in the desert and mud. any input wouild be great. :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Remember that there are two 4.0L V6s in 97+ Explorers. The SOHC V6 4.0 is a peppy six-banger, and is ready to have a little fun.

then again, I would still look for the 5.0, and if I were in FL, a nice 2wd 5.0 would be on the top of my list

4. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    More HP
    More TQ
    More reliable
    More aftermarket support
    Mated to stronger tranny

Better mpg's
    Decent reliability record
    Mated to weaker trannies (A4LD ~ worst, 4R ok, 5R better but still not as strong/reliable as the 4R70W behind the 5.0)

5. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
    WA
    1994 XLT 4x4
    If you're planning on modding there is a huge difference. The OHV is slow, SOHC is around the 5.0 quickness, but doesn't have many aftermarket parts. The 5.0 has TONS of aftermarket parts that'll deliver better gains than parts on the SOHC.

6. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Yes, the SOHC is a great motor (I have it) and it has plenty of tq, passing power and decent mpg's ~ its a great inbetweener for the 4.0 ohv and the 5.0

Robb is also biased b/c he has a 5.0 2wd and he lives in Richmond, VA where they still see snow every now and then ;)

7. eckerd_explorer

eckerd_explorer Active Member

City, State:
    St. Petersburg Florida
    2000 XLT 30" XTR's
    yeah, i'm not sure exactly what year this 6 cyl is. it might be a 96, but i'm not sure. it has 68k on the ingine and it's loaded, has leather, keyless, 4wd. the thing is, i'm right out of college and don't have exactly good credit, and the 97 5.0 i was going to finance had too many miles on it for the credit union to look at. so they figured if if i could find a lower mile explorer i'd be in better shape. the dealer found one and plugged it in to the equation to see if i would be financed. so i haven't had checked it over yet. thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

8. Hitchhikingmike

Hitchhikingmike Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Dallas, Texas
    '02 XLS
    Keep in mind that the SOHC has the same power as the 5.0 in stock form.

When towing on the highway power is all that matters (HP=torque*speed)- so the point is mute here.

I've have a SOHC in my '02 3rd gen explorer for a while now and have never had to do anything to it other than a couple oil seals in 130k miles. The latter year SOHC engines are great IMO, no chain issues at all.