Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Proving Oil Changes?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by bkhiatt, August 8, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 XLT
    I usually start doing my oil changes myself when the warranty runs out, but my brother works in the service department at a Chevrolet dealership. I don't do them myself to save money because it cost me about $45 at the dealership and $30-35 at home. I do them myself because I like working on vehicles, I can locate other issues while doing routine maintenance, and I don't overtighten drain plugs and oil filters. I used to keep track of all maintenance, but since the invent of the oil life monitoring systems, I have let that slip. Light comes on, I change the oil.

The only car I owned that I didn't change the oil on was a Porsche 911, but that was because it was so low to the ground you couldn't get under it without it being up on a lift, and it held 15 quarts, and it had solid valve lifters that had to be adjusted about as often as an oil change.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    B2 Slightly Modified
    yup my buddy has a 84 Porsche 911 convert with a 3.4L 6 that is built up pretty gnarly, every oil change he takes it in. I was like dude "we got this", we fix and modify everything else.., he's like "no way, Ill take it to the shop" because they adjust the valves with every oil change and have to tune it twice a year for emissions testing....detune emissions then re tune........ I was like "let them do it"
    Porsche is a big PITA but man that car sure can handle