Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

PS Pressure Line Leak!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by MistahYebba, July 13, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MistahYebba

MistahYebba Active Member

City, State:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey guys!

My stock PS Pressure Line was spraying fluid all over the place... so naturally, I got a new one and replaced it.

The new one has been working fine for about a week now... but it just developed another leak!

Luckily, this leak isn't from a tear in the rubber hose... it's actually leaking from right above the nut connecting it to the steering rack. (is that what it's called; please quote me and correct me!)

Use this pic for example...

[​IMG]

It's leaking RIGHT ABOVE THE FREAKING NUT!!

So I tried to tighten it.. and it's as tight as can be!

What's the issue?

O-Ring cracked or faulty?

Will teflon tape fix it?

How could a brand new hose leak?!

UGH!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 & 1994 Explorers
    Shouldn't be an o-ring in there, it's a flared tube with a NPT nut. It should simply tighten until the flared part of the tube is firmly seated against the port of the steering box.

I'd loosen it up and take a look at the mating surface. Could be that it's cross-threaded. I know when I did mine, I had a helluva time making sure the steering box end were going in right.