PTU Problems | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I wonder if the new design will make the fluid last longer. Or, last at all, really.

@Sgt1411, any thoughts on the fluid topic? When are you planning to change?

I am debating doing it at 30k on my 2.3L...

This was real hot topic at many Ford Police Advisory Board meetings........some of the Fleet Managers for the big US Police Fleets said they didn't care what Ford recommended they were changing the PTU fluid a set mileage depending on the Agency standards.

Program Engineers said it didn't need it, then all of the burnt up PTU's started and I think they had to rethink their position. I saw pictures of PTU's opened up where the fluid was literally "caked" and burnt.

I know Washington DC Police sent dozens of PTU's back to Ford for analysis.

But I don't see any new maintenance guidelines for the 2017 Police or Retail units.

My thoughts are to leave it alone, I usually renew my lease before a PTU fluid change is required.

I will make some inquiries with my Fleet contacts and see what the situation is now with the new design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got this back from a Fleet Manager of a large US Fleet.

We are not changing the PTU fluid.

The new design hasn't been failing.

If you decide to do it- couple companies now offer a kit - I suggest to change the fluid from the drain hole, drain the old fluid by the drain plug, take a fitting and install into the drain hole that would allow a suction gun to force the fluid back into the PTU thru the fitting, add a little extra for loss when taking out the fitting & installing the drain plug, cap the fitting and install the drain plug.

Adding the fluid back thru the factory fill location is a joke & time consuming.

The 1st units we received had a major failure- I believe this was due to improper fluid level installed at the Ford part supplier building the PTU’s, as when the engineers came out- they were referencing an internal bulletin about the fluid capacity- I believe it was 10 oz installed and it was to be 18oz. or fairly close to that- that would explain the fluid condition we have seen, extremely burnt, scorched fluid and the units actually cracking the case & sometimes exploding due to excessive heat.

Welcome to the Forum LineDriver75.:wave:
The natural gas and sulphur (rotten egg) smell are the same thing. There are threads on the issue as well as 'exhaust smell on hard acceleration'.
Both can be found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter
Hi,
Sorry, thought was suppose to post here.

This is the first I have heard the PTU smelling bad.

I know there is a new PTU design and you would hope you got the new design as a replacement.

The sulpher/exhaust issue was a long standing TSB which was corrected before 2016 model year Job1, that's really odd you're having that issue.

You must have a very early 16 build maybe.

If it persists follow the Lemon Law regs in your area you dont need anyone getting sick. They need to buy that vehicle back and crush it.

Hi,

They actually followed the specs for TSB-14-0130 for the rear bumper. The deemed an internal failure on the PTU and stated the PTU is equipped with cooling. I'll definitely keep on it though for the lemon law. Otherwise it's a great vehicle to drive. They did give me the 2016 F150 XLT to drive, now that was nice. Might have to ask the "boss" if we can change, lol

I got this back from a Fleet Manager of a large US Fleet.

We are not changing the PTU fluid.

The new design hasn't been failing.

If you decide to do it- couple companies now offer a kit - I suggest to change the fluid from the drain hole, drain the old fluid by the drain plug, take a fitting and install into the drain hole that would allow a suction gun to force the fluid back into the PTU thru the fitting, add a little extra for loss when taking out the fitting & installing the drain plug, cap the fitting and install the drain plug.

Adding the fluid back thru the factory fill location is a joke & time consuming.

The 1st units we received had a major failure- I believe this was due to improper fluid level installed at the Ford part supplier building the PTU’s, as when the engineers came out- they were referencing an internal bulletin about the fluid capacity- I believe it was 10 oz installed and it was to be 18oz. or fairly close to that- that would explain the fluid condition we have seen, extremely burnt, scorched fluid and the units actually cracking the case & sometimes exploding due to excessive heat.
Thanks for the great info here.

I thought the rear main seal was leaking but as I torn into it and was able to see the upper portion of the area, the leak seems to be coming from the jiggle cap on the top of the PTU. One diagnosis from ford is that the system is over filled, which this is not possible. It says it could also be a plugged vent? Is this sort of leak specific to a seal that is going bad. I hate to remove everything only to find it was a plugged vent.
Thanks in advance for your help

Hello,
I'm new to this forum (today) and I have a question... I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with 56000 miles. I have a lurching problem, is this caused by the PTU? I would like to find out what other problem other members are having resulting in bad PTU's. I would like to get this fixed before the powertrain warranty expires..

Thanks!

Hello,
I'm new to this forum (today) and I have a question... I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with 56000 miles. I have a lurching problem, is this caused by the PTU? I would like to find out what other problem other members are having resulting in bad PTU's. I would like to get this fixed before the powertrain warranty expires..

Thanks!
Take it in. You want to get it fixed hopefully before PTU fluid is all over the place and stinks up your car for months (even after repair - IF it is in fact a PTU issue).

Hello,

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are a few things that might cause 'surging' but post 29 mentions it as well.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ptu-problems.379087/page-2#post-3223510

Peter

The "transfer case" on my 2013 explorer XLT is leaking out of the tailshaft anyone else have this problem and if you did how much was it to get it fixed ? Thanks

The "transfer case" on my 2013 explorer XLT is leaking out of the tailshaft anyone else have this problem and if you did how much was it to get it fixed ? Thanks
Are you referring to the PTU (Power Transfer Unit)? I don't believe the 5th gen has a 'Transfer Case'.

Peter

Yes , I'm guessing that's what it is I guess I'm little old school

Yes , I'm guessing that's what it is I guess I'm little old school
There are several theads on a leaking PTU. One is about it leaking from the PTU vent. More have a leaky seal.

Peter

Thank you will check them out.

Yes, I just had the engine oil changed and the tech told me it was the seal on the output side that was leaking

Yes, I just had the engine oil changed and the tech told me it was the seal on the output side that was leaking
I've moved your thread to this one on leaking PTU seals. Are you over the 60k Powertrain Warranty limit?
Good luck.

Peter

Hey Peter, it's been a while. We are about to start our drive from Colorado to Ottawa next week and I noticed some oil in my garage, I have had 3 different quotes now with all of them being different and at least 1 thinks the whole PTU needs to be replaced and 1 of the other ones thought just the seals. The Explorer has about 87k Miles on it now. Midas quoted me $1860 to do the job. If this is such a common issue why has ford not done anything about it? That article 2 pages back said these should last a life time.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Peter, it's been a while. We are about to start our drive from Colorado to Ottawa next week and I noticed some oil in my garage, I have had 3 different quotes now with all of them being different and at least 1 thinks the whole PTU needs to be replaced and 1 of the other ones thought just the seals. The Explorer has about 87k Miles on it now. Midas quoted me $1860 to do the job. If this is such a common issue why has ford not done anything about it? That article 2 pages back said these should last a life time.....
Was a little surprised to see your 'Name' pop up. I believe the most common repair was the seals although some have had the PTU replaced. Did you find out the difference in cost between replacing the seals or having the PTU replaced? Was the MIdas quote for PTU replacement? I'm guessing that there likely won't be too big a price difference so if they have to tear it apart it may make sense to go with a new one. Fluid is supposed to be "lifetime" according to Ford but several members have changed the fluid themselves.

Peter

Back