PTU Problems | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm on my 15th-20th trip to the dealer(s). First dealer basically told me it was my imagination because it wasn't throwing any error codes. So far the second dealer replaced a PTU, turbo, drive shaft, rear half axles, did a fuel induction service, and none of these have resolved the bucking/shudder in 6th gear.
It's been at the dealer a week now, they have found the engine is throwing multiple misfires, and currently have the transmission pulled to check the torque converter.
This all occurred on 4/1/17, and still not resolved.
Any resolution yet? I have a similar issue, however it's not just 6th gear. I've noticed it in 2nd through 5th as well but only at that lower rpm range where you're experiencing it in 6th. Same here that if it shifts down (higher rpm), it goes away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I remembered that from your window sticker. For that kind of money, one would be far better off purchasing an ESP powertrain warranty. If I'm not mistaken, they could wait until 60K when the retail powertrain warranty runs out and then add another 100K+ of ESP powertrain for a lot less than $3K.

It always sucks when there are "known issues" with things, but there are only a few options:
1. acknowledge issues and not purchase
2. lease and return prior to warranty expiration
3. purchase vehicle/maintain it/reserve for emergencies
4. hedge their risk by purchasing an ESP.

Waiting around and hoping for a company/manufacturer to do the right thing isn't really an option...
The previous post #340 applies to the Explorer since the notes are from the Explorer Owner's Manual. I don't know if the PIU has its own Manual or not.:dunno:

Peter

It's seems a though this ptu malfunction is common but my 2016 ford explorer sport. With 60 thousand just broke in a major epic manner, the dealership said the drive shaft froze and that caused the ptu to break and the transmission to crack it's going to cost $10.000 to repair parts and labor WTF

Here's my opinion.

I am certain that this is the underlying problem with this PTU.

The variability of failure in this unit, which in design is simple (albeit fatally flawed in terms of lubrication volume) points directly to this tire circumference theory.

There is no other practical explanation for this issue. If it were heat from the exhaust, then the failure would be in accordance from those that are driving long distances. In addition, it would occur in the first 10000 miles of ownership - especially for those who are driving long distances.

This is simply not the case - because the tires have not worn down during this interval to pose a problem...

When this problem reared it's head in my case, was near the end of my tire's lifespan. I did not rotate the tires as I needed to in this fragile scenario. That's when oil began to boil out, stick to the undercarriage to the car, then drip down to the garage floor.

Ford says that this is a non-maintenance / lifetime item. They are correct - as long as you rotate your tires every 5-7k miles.

In my particular case, I caught the problem in time and saved the case. There appears to be no bearing damage nor noise, and I flushed the sludge with a solvent of petroleum fuel oil. I then added a superior crankcase oil than what is recommended by Ford - specifically one with the highest boiling point that I could find. I now know what to look for, and expect that with faithful tire rotations this will no longer be a problem.

I'll let you all know how this works out, and if any more oil is boiling out after the fresh set of tires and the new AMSoil oil...

It's seems a though this ptu malfunction is common but my 2016 ford explorer sport. With 60 thousand just broke in a major epic manner, the dealership said the drive shaft froze and that caused the ptu to break and the transmission to crack it's going to cost $10.000 to repair parts and labor WTF

P

Something sounds off here.
I'd challenge the dealer on the cause of the failure and the cost. How did the drive shaft freeze?

Any resolution yet? I have a similar issue, however it's not just 6th gear. I've noticed it in 2nd through 5th as well but only at that lower rpm range where you're experiencing it in 6th. Same here that if it shifts down (higher rpm), it goes away.
A transmission fluid flush seems to have solved it for me. I haven’t driven it much (wife’s car) but the hesitation or whatever seems gone. After reading all this, I may end up changing the PTU oil as well just to be on the safe side.

How far over 60K are you? Have you tried to contact Ford to see if they will cover it under the powertrain warranty?

Peter

Still no solution. Upon taking the transmission apart, the mechanic found "excessive metal" on the magnet. They replaced the torque converter, stator support, valve body, and solenoid body. The issue still persists. They told me they don't know what else to replace. My next thing i am to do is to road test another 3.5L Twin turbo vehicle to see if it does the same thing....

My 2014 sport has a leaking PTU.. just enough oil drops on exhaust and smells..especially when sucked back in to HVAC system inside cab. No visible fluids on garage floor
No other mechanical issues..drives fine..just smells 29,000 miles
Getting replaced next week.

My 2014 sport has a leaking PTU.. just enough oil drops on exhaust and smells..especially when sucked back in to HVAC system inside cab. No visible fluids on garage floor
No other mechanical issues..drives fine..just smells 29,000 miles
Getting replaced next week.

Make sure you follow up a while afterwards to let us know how it went, and if it solved your problem.

They are using the new design to retrofit older PI Utility's so I would assume so but I do not know for sure about retail. The Sport shares the same water cooled PTU as PI Utility.

I beleive the improvements are in any new PTU, here is what they have updated:

•Jan 2014 - Full faced thrust washer (FFTW) introduced
•Prevents idler bearing from walking into aluminum case.
•Oct 2015 – Loose Fit Idler Bearing
•Dyno Testing Shows ~ 2 x improvement over FFTW design
•May/June 2016 – New Bearing Design without drawn cups
•Eliminates Walk Mechanism
•Dyno Testing Shows ~3-4 x improvement over FFTW design

Did these changes make it to the 2017-up non-cooled PTUs? I have a 2018 XLT AWD and I confirmed there was no cooler or drain plug. It looked a bit different from the non-cooled PTU from my 2014 Taurus SHO though. For one, the fill plug is blocked by the catalytic converter and EPAS power steering motor.

Did these changes make it to the 2017-up non-cooled PTUs? I have a 2018 XLT AWD and I confirmed there was no cooler or drain plug. It looked a bit different from the non-cooled PTU from my 2014 Taurus SHO though. For one, the fill plug is blocked by the catalytic converter and EPAS power steering motor.

Police and Sport got liquid cooled PTU, all others are air cooled with the scoop in lower front air dam.

Police and Sport got liquid cooled PTU, all others are air cooled with the scoop in lower front air dam.

Did these changes make it to ALL 2017-up PTUs (non-cooled and liquid cooled):

•Jan 2014 - Full faced thrust washer (FFTW) introduced
•Prevents idler bearing from walking into aluminum case.
•Oct 2015 – Loose Fit Idler Bearing
•Dyno Testing Shows ~ 2 x improvement over FFTW design
•May/June 2016 – New Bearing Design without drawn cups
•Eliminates Walk Mechanism
•Dyno Testing Shows ~3-4 x improvement over FFTW design

Or was it ONLY for liquid cooled PTUs? I just want to know if my 2018 XLT's non-cooled PTU is going to blow up.

Did these changes make it to ALL 2017-up PTUs (non-cooled and liquid cooled):

Or was it ONLY for liquid cooled PTUs? I just want to know if my 2018 XLT's non-cooled PTU is going to blow up.

My understanding was all PTU's were upgraded and if you had one replaced you got the new version.

Also, My information was up to and including 17MY. I don't know what they did for 2018 MY, they may have upgraded further and added a liquid cooled PTU for all models

My 18 XLT does not have a cooled PTU, I had to check for myself.

Change out your fluid at regular intervals, say 30k and you should be fine.

I changed it once on the SHO and it was a royal PITA gear oil bath

yeah, it is. I got a pump specifically for this job.

I had the pump as well. Still a PITA. I am tempted to install a drain plug this time around

I went and checked my 2018 XLT as well. Unless I’m missing it, there is still no drain plug. I’d also personally love to know if the internal changes made to the cooled PIU model were made to all PTUs or just the water cooled ones. I mean, I don’t lose sleep over the PTU in the Explorer or in our Escape, but it would be nice to know if Ford made any revisions to the mass market vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everybody,
hope this is not too long to read

I have had my PTU replaced under warranty in the past (arround 30k "km"), this happened when I complained about an abnormal sound.

today I was in the mechanics shop and had 1 injector + 6 spark plugs replaced, and they told me that there is a leak in the PTU and that they suspect gasket and/or seals, my question is can some one here help me get the part numbers of the gaskets/seals involved in that so that I can import them from US, because generally parts are double/triple the price here compared to US.

thanks in advance, and I am refering to 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD.
IMG_20180329_214845.jpg

Back