PTU Problems | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guaranteed to fail?? 85,000 miles on my 2011 without an issue.

With almost 1,000,000 Explorers built (not sure on the mix between 2wd and awd) from 2011 - 2016, I wouldn't let this sway me away from it. How many people out of the 130 posts here are true issues?? A few dozen?

It is a $5xx part if you were out of warranty (far more expensive items on vehicles these days then that) and if you are overly concerned, buy an ESP. They now offer 8yr/150k warrantees.

wrong choice of words; just curious because the issue is prevalent enough to warrant a lengthy thread.

I remember my 2007 Exp and the six radiators I went through; the top seam would always crack after a year or so because the housing wasn't secure enough; allowed for to much movement.... didn't happen to all 2007's but from 2006 to 2010 the radiator housing design was crap and Ford knew it. Every long trip I would check the radiator constantly and obsessively. I knew it was a problem and was just a matter of time before it would need to be replaced. Check out the 4th generation threads and you'll see the same problems: radiator, hubs, and tranny lunges.

Reason for this question, is to get an idea as to wether or not the PTU seal is going to be a similar issue. Just curious and cautious; I don't want another part I have to keep on top of because Ford designed it like crap and doesn't want to correct it b/c it's too late and too costly. Time will tell.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

170,000 miles on a 2013?????

As Peter stated, many times it is the seal that goes and not the ptu. I would really question them on it being the ptu. On a side note, having 170,000 miles if that is the case may not be as abnormal all as one going at 30,000 miles. This would be the highest mileage 5th Gen I have heard of if so.

Yes 173K now as we speak. (It's driven as a "For Hire")
Only thing makes me confused, if as per dealer "PTU is broken" should my car make some kind of noise? In my case, there's no sound or transmission problem. It runs so smooth.
Oil color is brown and leak is so minor that I have not seen a single drop on my driveway. ( I park on the same spot) but when I lift up explorer I see oil by PTU.
And YES dealer told me $1900. They said since PTU is leaking, its already broken and you need to replace it.
I am wondering what if Hose is disconnected ? It cant be missing because I have just seen.this leakage last month. Where can I find that vent hose is disconnected?
Thanks

Yes 173K now as we speak. (It's driven as a "For Hire")
Only thing makes me confused, if as per dealer "PTU is broken" should my car make some kind of noise? In my case, there's no sound or transmission problem. It runs so smooth.
Oil color is brown and leak is so minor that I have not seen a single drop on my driveway. ( I park on the same spot) but when I lift up explorer I see oil by PTU.
And YES dealer told me $1900. They said since PTU is leaking, its already broken and you need to replace it.
I am wondering what if Hose is disconnected ? It cant be missing because I have just seen.this leakage last month. Where can I find that vent hose is disconnected?
Thanks
It's also possible it is just the seal.

Peter

It's also possible it is just the seal.

Peter

Peter,
Do you know any thread with PTU fluid change? With pictures or video? I mean 2011-2016 explorer. Or should I create a new thread?
Thanks

Peter, Do you know any thread with PTU fluid change? With pictures or video? I mean 2011-2016 explorer. Or should I create a new thread? Thanks

Peter is going to copy/paste the owners manual telling you it's permanent fluid and can't be changed. Bunk.

Google it. There are several threads on some of the other Ford forums. It requires extraction, and isn't easy.

Here's an example:

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14086

I have the fluid (Amsoil), and a Mity Vac ready for an attempt and for a rear diff change. I BG exchanged the trams fluid 10K ago. I'm at 70K. Should happen some time over the holidays.

This one size fits all crap is ridiculous and stupid. Why the heck is the PTU the same for the Explorer, Taurus, Flex, etc? Especially when you have more weight. There are a lot of reports of the PTUs having metal shavings inside them and the synthetic fluid is going bad.

This post is from 2013 from another Ford model with a PTU. Not only isolated to our Explorers.

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9334

"My guess is that when the fluid begins to thicken up from overheating or maybe just too many heating/cooling cycles, it enters a failure mode that causes increased wear rates and increased heat due to lower lubrication rates and the fact that the lube isn't flowing very well diminishes its ability to transmit heat from the moving parts to the aluminum case. Before long, the seals overheat and begin to leak. This could also explain why people have had their output shaft seal needing multiple replacements - if the gear lube was already thickened up in the unit and may have only been topped off after the seal was replaced, the failure mode would simply repeat."

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/the_natrix/library/Ford Edge PTU?sort=3&page=1

Class action lawsuit anyone? I think the data from civilian Explorers and the high number of police interceptor models with premature failing PTUs even though their's is water cooled. This clearly shows the PTU is poorly designed and will fail. My 5 year powertrain warranty is about to go out and I swear I spotted a leak. I'm not about to pay for this engineered to fail bs.

They need to engineer the PTU to be serviceable because the fluid is obviously failing or they redesign the PTU for the future models if I'm ever going to buy another AWD Ford vehicle ever again.

Transfer Case "Seap", "Sip", Leak?

To those who might be mechanics and know this definition.
The last time I had my Exsport in for service the service manager said the tech discovered a "Seap" on the gasket on the transfer case. He explained it "wasn't" a leak...but a "Seap"...basically a wet spot showing some fluid has permeated through the gasket but not a leak, and in no danger of loosing the fluid in the transfer case.

He said 99% of the time this will always remain a "seap" over the life of the vehicle and may require a slight top up of fluid every couple of years at most.
He also gave me explanations of how Ford does not repair "seaps" under warranty because they aren't considered defects and don't effect the normal operation of the vehicle.

Question. Can someone better explain a "seap", and is there really any concern of this turning to a more significant "leak"
The reason is I only have 2500km left on my warranty (unless this is considered powertrain coverage, of which I'm ok with another 40,000km).
I'm just worried that once the warranty is eventually up that if it changes to something more serious then I'm on the hook for $$$...I think these thinks, anything powertrain is expensive!

To those who might be mechanics and know this definition.
The last time I had my Exsport in for service the service manager said the tech discovered a "Seap" on the gasket on the transfer case. He explained it "wasn't" a leak...but a "Seap"...basically a wet spot showing some fluid has permeated through the gasket but not a leak, and in no danger of loosing the fluid in the transfer case.

He said 99% of the time this will always remain a "seap" over the life of the vehicle and may require a slight top up of fluid every couple of years at most.
He also gave me explanations of how Ford does not repair "seaps" under warranty because they aren't considered defects and don't effect the normal operation of the vehicle.

Question. Can someone better explain a "seap", and is there really any concern of this turning to a more significant "leak"
The reason is I only have 2500km left on my warranty (unless this is considered powertrain coverage, of which I'm ok with another 40,000km).
I'm just worried that once the warranty is eventually up that if it changes to something more serious then I'm on the hook for $$$...I think these thinks, anything powertrain is expensive!
Perhaps the service manager should familiarize himself with the 5th gen Explorer. The 'new' Explorer doesn't have a 'transfer case'. What he is likely referring to is the Power Transfer Unit (PTU). There are threads on this issue and in some cases it just involved replacing the seal in some others the PTU had to be replaced.
From the Warranty Guide;
Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts. I'm guessing the 'transfer case' refers to the PTU. In any case I'd have it fixed before the factory warranty runs out. The leak will not get better and perhaps will get worse. According to the Owner's Manual, the PTU fluid is a "lifetime fluid" which doesn't require changing but many members dispute that claim. That 'for life' seems to have been removed in the 2016 Manual.

Here is what your 2014 Manual states;
Normal vehicle axle maintenance: Rear axles and power take-off units with synthetic fluid and light-duty trucks equipped with Ford-design axles
are lubricated for life; do not check or change fluid unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the assembly has been submerged in water.

Peter

Sorry to double post but does anyone know if the PTU leaking would be under the powertrain warranty or the 3 year warranty? My car is about to be 5 years old on 1/17/2016 but the PTU seal is leaking slowly. Leaving oil spots under my PTU. I really don't want to have to pay for something that I can't prevent from failing.

Sorry to double post but does anyone know if the PTU leaking would be under the powertrain warranty or the 3 year warranty? My car is about to be 5 years old on 1/17/2016 but the PTU seal is leaking slowly. Leaving oil spots under my PTU. I really don't want to have to pay for something that I can't prevent from failing.
From what I've read in the Warranty Guide, I'd say yes, it is under the Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

From what I've read in the Warranty Guide, I'd say yes, it is under the Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Sweet, I finally had time to bring it in and I only guessed the PTU was leaking because the areas around the PTU were a bit darker, and they confirmed it was leaking. They are going to put in a brand new PTU.

They are also going to take care of the oil in the intake tube for me. Apparently that is under the powertrain warranty.

Now my question is, when they put the new PTU in, will I have a leak after 45k miles again or did they improve the seals? Will I be able to service my new PTU? Has anyone who bought the Explorer had any issues with their new PTU?

Hi all,
New to the forum but not new to the problem. I drive a '13 police interceptor with 38k miles on it. I notice a natural gas smell coming from the engine bay and into the cabin. It happens during idle, lower speed driving etc. Happens with heat and AC on or off. Pretty much all the time. Took it to Ford and was told its from my K9 partner and that the truck needed a detail... I found this thread regarding PTU's and am wondering if this is the smell that some folks are experiencing. Thanks

Hi all,
New to the forum but not new to the problem. I drive a '13 police interceptor with 38k miles on it. I notice a natural gas smell coming from the engine bay and into the cabin. It happens during idle, lower speed driving etc. Happens with heat and AC on or off. Pretty much all the time. Took it to Ford and was told its from my K9 partner and that the truck needed a detail... I found this thread regarding PTU's and am wondering if this is the smell that some folks are experiencing. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
You mentioned a "natural gas smell" coming from the engine. The catalytic convertor will sometimes produce a sulphur or rotten egg smell. That could be what you notice. It usually occurs under hard acceleration but if it is faulty it could produce it at other times. Did this issue just begin or was it always there?

Peter

Thanks. It started about 5 months ago. It doesn't smell like the typical rotten eggs associated with the cats. It's a natural gas odor and is very noticeable from up to 8 feet away. Can't miss it.

Add me to the PTU seal leak group. 2015 explorer with 10k miles on it, lifted the explorer for the oil change and saw the leak.

Hi all,

I had that natural gas smell and it got worse just before my PTU broke completely. Also when it broke completely I could also smell a burn odor. Dealer replaced the PTU and both smells went away. Not sure why it produced two types of odors but happy not smelling that in the morning anymore.

PTU Leaking

I took my 2011 Explorer in for the regularly scheduled works package at 106854 miles. I have mine done as close to every 5k miles as possible. The technician said that my PTU/Transfer case was leaking. I did not have any oil staining on the driveway at home or at work where I park. I didn't have any other symptoms such as warning lights, low oil pressure or any thing else. I will take the dealership at their word that the unit was leaking.

I took my 2011 Explorer in for the regularly scheduled works package at 106854 miles. I have mine done as close to every 5k miles as possible. The technician said that my PTU/Transfer case was leaking. I did not have any oil staining on the driveway at home or at work where I park. I didn't have any other symptoms such as warning lights, low oil pressure or any thing else. I will take the dealership at their word that the unit was leaking.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
To my knowledge, there are no warning lights or messages for the PTU. It seems that you will either see oil stains or possibly a smell as some have posted. The PTU, being part of the powertrain is covered for 5 years or 60k miles so unless you have the ESP warranty, the repair, if necessary will not be covered by Ford. Good luck.

Peter

5yr/60,000 so it would depend on your mileage as well. It cost me $1400 to have mine replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't have oil spots either. I had to notice stains on the PTU itself.

Back