1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Puddle lights

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by GFRY HTSN, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. GFRY HTSN

GFRY HTSN New Member

City, State:
      Odessa, Tx
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Eddie Bauer
      about a year ago, someone thought it would be every so kind to take a baseball bat to both my power mirrors at the mall. I was mad at first, but realized it was the perfect opportunity to put some much desired mirrors on with puddle lights(i love those things) I knew the plugs wouldn't be plug and play, since i have a 1996 -X-, and the mirrors were from a 00 or so. I wired the lights in with the courtesy lights on my doors. What my problem is, is that i cannot seem to find what wire matches up from the truck to the new mirrors. I tried and tried, but the best i could get was no up down movement on my left side, and no right to left movement on my right side. Anyone done this mod, or have any input! Thanks! -sorry for the unclear thread-

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      I've got a first gen and put '98-'01 mirrors on and my mirror movement works fine. Were the connectors different between your '96 and the '00 mirrors? I'd just try one wire at a time, that's what I did :D

4. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      i have a 98...and have the lamps...maybe find a older model of the mirrors?

5. GFRY HTSN

GFRY HTSN New Member

City, State:
      Odessa, Tx
      96 Eddie Bauer
      The older lamps didnt have the puddle lamps. The plug that goes from the mirror to the car doesnt fit right, i had to cut it off, and start trying to match up wires

6. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      ?? confused me ?? :(

7. GFRY HTSN

GFRY HTSN New Member

City, State:
      Odessa, Tx
      96 Eddie Bauer
      TJM, im pretty sure that puddle lamps came out in 1998(no earlier, but MAYBE later). That is also the year they made many changes to the 2nd gen explorer (license plate on tailgate, change in auto dim mirror, and i believe they did away with the courtesy lamps on the inside of the door panel, etc) The puddle lamps are these little lights that whenever your courtesy lamps go on, these little lights under your mirror come on. I have a 1996 explorer, and i put mirrors on from a '00 as a mod. The new mirrors have to have power to them from a soure of the courtesy light, and my 1996 didnt have that wireup, because puddle lamps werent offered back then, that is why i wired the wire from the light on the mirror to my courtesy light, but i couldnt match up the other wires from the <left/right> mirror toggle switch. I had seen somewhere other people have done this mod, and seemed to have no problems with it, and i was just wondering if anyone happened to have jotted down what old wire went to what new wire(from themirror) Tjm, sorry if i told you something you alreaduy knew, but i was trying to clear up any confusion you might have had...

8. Lee S.

Lee S. Active Member

City, State:
      Northport, NY
      '98 XLT
      Isn't 98 when they did away with the glove box light too?

9. GFRY HTSN

GFRY HTSN New Member

City, State:
      Odessa, Tx
      96 Eddie Bauer
      lol probably, lee s. I heard something about in 1998 they cut wiring costs. I havent opened the glove box in a newer one, but ive seen that in 98's, a lot of them have manual lumbar, and they dont have bolster anymore, and they started putting the new front bumpers on so all the lights could be in a parallell, or something like that

10. Lee S.

Lee S. Active Member

City, State:
      Northport, NY
      '98 XLT
      yeah...that's why I wired in a glove box light and a center console light with pin switches....it's the only vehicle I ever remember owing that didn't have a glove box light.

Good luck with your puddle lights...please report back when you've got it licked.

Lee

11. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      never thought about not having the glovebox light =] but ur right i don't...as for lumbar i still have the power lumbar support...and puddle lamps no courtesy lights on my door panels that i can think of though ...I get what you mean though.. Like Lee said Good luck!