Pugly | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Monday was being a typical Monday, and had to wait until today to give the TRE adjustment the old college try.

First nut I went after on the adjustment sleeve stripped clean on me. LOL! I have two sets of special sockets for stripped nuts/bolts, and both of them are missing the 15mm I need. :banghead:

After the crappy day I just had, That was enough aggravation for me to give up and try another day. LOL!

I took the newer shaft apart, spun the top half 180* to get the steering wheel going the same direction the tires were heading. So now when I eventually get around to moving the TRE's, the wheel will go the proper direction.
Yep, been a little learning experience for me, and I'm sharing my mistakes along with my success.

I bought a set of Grip-Rite metric sockets and it has a 15mm. I hope it works on that bad nut, if not, out comes the grinder.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pugly has developed a "Going" problem. A few years ago, I had to rebuild the transmission, and aprox 20k miles has been put on it trouble free since,

When dropping it into any gear, the transmission instantly starts a weird constant whining noise. Park or Neutral, no noise. I checked the fluid level, and all is good.

Has plenty of power, and shifts thru the gears fine, but makes a bit of a stutter when coming to a stop. In park or neutral, it feels like the engine is not firing right a little.

So these symptoms have me a bit confused.

I want to say the converter is going bad because of the stutter, but it has good power still. :scratch:
I want to say a solenoid is bad because of the whining noise is most likely from fluid pressure being misdirected somewhere or pinched off. :dunno:

Edit:
Got a set of wheels with 235's to swap out the 35's. Should be able to get it in the garage to work on it with the portable heaters going. Plan is to drop the pan, and check out the pickup pump, to make sure it is not starving the flow. Inspect the valve body, and test the solenoids somehow. Need to read up on how to do that still.

After sitting for a few days, and starting it, the noise was gone. Ran it up to temp, and took it for a spin. The noise never returned, but the "Feel" of the drive train feels Off. Hard to explain, but it's not running/driving the same. :scratch:

So the symptoms lead to the converter failing. :(

Hoping it didn't chew up the pump, and send particles into the trans itself causing a full rebuild again. :banghead:

I believe I can drop the trans by myself alright, but getting it back in and lined up on the pins, is going to be a challenge for me. I remember the struggle last time I did this.

Edit: So upon further inspection, the bell housing is full of engine oil. It appears the rear main seal I installed failed again. (3rd seal) I have been losing oil slowly over time, but honestly believed it was from the lower intake manifold gasket from the back. It might be that also, and both areas are leaking. Hard to tell until I get this trans dropped.

A little at a time due to work constraints so all I can do today is get the T-case dropped. sigh...

What's wrong here? The transfercase seal is just designed to keep transmission out of the transfercase right? That's how the 4R70W and it's corresponding transfercases work.

The "nickle & dime me to death" has begun, and I really don't know how much longer I will keep relying on this vehicle.

I said that back in 2010. Fast forward to 2016, and I find myself saying this yet again. I have been a surgeon, a GP, and a nurse to this rig for 10 years now, keeping this girl alive & well.

With this last bout of issues, I honestly think it is time to find a replacement DD. Some might think it is silly or unthinkable to use such an old beat up rig for a DD, but when you love what you have, you love to use it.

But, I have to be honest to myself here. At 252k miles, Just how much longer do I have before the engine has to be swapped, for yet another big expense?

This 2nd go around with the transmission has got me thinking, as I lay in a puddle of nasty red trans fluids on a cold concrete slab, wrenching away again on this old girl.

The older I get, the less heavy wrenching I feel like doing. Hmm...

What's wrong here? The transfercase seal is just designed to keep transmission out of the transfercase right? That's how the 4R70W and it's corresponding transfercases work.

The seal is not doing it's job keeping the fluids inside the 4wd tail housing. I spent extra on the "Good" rubber seal, so I didn't have a leak. The old Paper seal did a better job then this POS did. LOL!

I have a list of leaks to fix right now, and this is the first one to deal with. I am dropping the transmission today, and will find out if the oil leak is due from a failed rear main seal I installed a couple years ago, or the lower intake seal is bad. :banghead:

Benji came by after work and delivered my replacement transmission. :)

Then he motivated me to wrench on it until 10pm, LOL!

With his unexpected ( and deeply appreciated) help, we managed to get the trans out, swap what we needed to the new trans, and get it under the rig and ready to install in the morning. :thumbsup:

So the old trans fluids were full of metal bits and particles. I haven't pulled the old converter yet to see if there is any visible damages to the pump or not. :dunno:

Attachments

• 20160219_162942.jpg
    20160219_162942.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160219_162953.jpg
    20160219_162953.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160219_163232.jpg
    20160219_163232.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 191

Wow, you guys got some stuff done ! Benji is a great guy!

I would definitely buy about 3 of those in line filters I told you about to get those lines cleaned.

I will flush the lines & tanks out tomorrow with some Kooler clean. If I can find an in-line filter that uses the rubber hoses at the cooler, then sure. :) I'm not even sure which line is in/out tho. :dunno:

So it has been a long enough day for me under the rig. I managed to get the trans bolted up, and the only thing left is the Converter nuts, starter, T-case & drivelines.
These will have to wait until tomorrow. I need to do a parts store run, for odds n ends before I can finish up.

So the ugly news for me is, I HAVE to re-do the lower intake gasket ASAP! It is leaking at the back severely, and engine oil is covering the entire back of the block, running onto the sides, crossmember, etc... The Old trans was covered in oil. I had thought the rear main seal had blown again, or didn't take when replaced, but on further inspection, it was the stupid intake in the back. I couldn't locate the leak until the trans was pulled.

It's always something.... :banghead:

With this last bout of issues, I honestly think it is time to find a replacement DD. Some might think it is silly or unthinkable to use such an old beat up rig for a DD, but when you love what you have, you love to use it.

I said the same thing when the trans went out in my 79 Bronco 20 yrs. ago and I sold it. To this day that was my favorite truck, and I kick myself for getting rid of it. Gotta decide just what the sentimental value is of Pugly. I have quite the tie to my 96 due to what it symbolizes to me, and would have a hell of a time ever selling it, even though it has been one thing after another constantly. It's up to 267k now I believe, and needs a lot of work. But with the abundance of used parts at the junk yards, I can't see any reason to get rid of it. So, how bad would you miss Pugly if you sold him or parted him out? Do you plan to keep him and just get something else as a DD? I just hate to see you in my shoes with my 79 Bronco, full of regret and wishing I had a 2nd chance at getting it back.

I said the same thing when the trans went out in my 79 Bronco 20 yrs. ago and I sold it. To this day that was my favorite truck, and I kick myself for getting rid of it. Gotta decide just what the sentimental value is of Pugly. I have quite the tie to my 96 due to what it symbolizes to me, and would have a hell of a time ever selling it, even though it has been one thing after another constantly. It's up to 267k now I believe, and needs a lot of work. But with the abundance of used parts at the junk yards, I can't see any reason to get rid of it. So, how bad would you miss Pugly if you sold him or parted him out? Do you plan to keep him and just get something else as a DD? I just hate to see you in my shoes with my 79 Bronco, full of regret and wishing I had a 2nd chance at getting it back.

I would have to sell, as I wouldn't have the room, or want to pay the annual fees/costs of having the vehicle, on top of the others.

I have owned plenty of vehicles I wish I still had to this day. I understand what your saying, and I have yet to replace her, But I need a reliable rig, and one that looks a bit, umm.... Cleaner, and umm..... A bit more updated. lol

Then there is the fact that I am getting older, and my body just can't take the abuse like it used to. Pulling engines and transmissions in a garage, or a driveway, is just hell on me these days.

Went to 5 major parts stores today searching for a Trans to T-case gasket, and nobody could even find one in their systems. So I guess I'm using some good old Red RTV. Such a waste of time :rolleyes:

I did find the Kooler Klean, but they only had the tube fitting for another manufacturer. I am going to try to make an adapter with a brass fitting.

No luck on the in-line trans filters either. Only types they carried are for Diesels, and they are the size of our fuel filters. :eek:

Back to wrenching. (ok back & shoulders, you can do this)

Went to 5 major parts stores today searching for a Trans to T-case gasket, and nobody could even find one in their systems. So I guess I'm using some good old Red RTV. Such a waste of time :rolleyes:

I did find the Kooler Klean, but they only had the tube fitting for another manufacturer. I am going to try to make an adapter with a brass fitting.

No luck on the in-line trans filters either. Only types they carried are for Diesels, and they are the size of our fuel filters. :eek:

Back to wrenching. (ok back & shoulders, you can do this)

Pretty sure That is the filter you want.

So as usual, one thing leads to another with this damn old rig. :thumbdwn:

The lower intake leak had soaked pretty much everything on the rear of the block, including the rear sides, the dr side of the bell housing, and even found oil inside the starter bell. I wiped everything clean on the engine, pan, etc.. before I installed the transmission. I got it all bolted up and back together yesterday.

So as I was putting the wheels back on, I noticed the spindle bearing nuts have come a little loose, and decided to set the torque in the morning, as I had enough for the day. Left it on the jack stands overnight.

I decided to go ahead and do the lower intake gasket now as it was in the garage, on stands, and that leak is bothering me pretty bad. I already have the gasket kit, so it just makes sense.

So this morning, I find a new puddle of pure engine oil leaking on the floor. It is dripping off the engine oil pan at the back edge. :banghead:

The engine has not been ran in 5 days, I cleaned the oil off the block, and a new clean trans installed. So this only leads me to believe the pan is cracked, or leaking at the gasket. I really hope I didn't crack the pan at the lower trans bolts. I am so disgusted about all this right now, I really just feel like throwing a match at the rig, and cut my losses. :fire:

Maybe we can drive (We'd have to push mine) both vehicles on top on a fire in a field?

I'm feeling your pain. For what it's worth, take some comfort that you are not alone.

Maybe we can drive (We'd have to push mine) both vehicles on top on a fire in a field?

I'm feeling your pain. For what it's worth, take some comfort that you are not alone.

I guess I can't complain as much, compared to your situation!

I think this rig is just an old fart, with old fart issues. Yours might need an exorcism, by a group of qualified Roman Priests. :eek:

I def feel your pains, none the less. We need to catch a break.

So Pugly is much more sick then I had realized. :fart:

I found a coolant puddle under the pass side knuckle on the floor. :scratch:

Followed the leak trail up the beam where it stopped under the middle of the engine. Looked up and seen a horror scene. :eek:

So it looks like the leaks are multiplying, and just about every fluid type is gushing from somewhere or another. :banghead:

The coolant leak goes up the front of the block to the dr side of the water pump, and the coolant is on the block and the oil pan, just dripping away. Water pump or timing cover? :crazy:

The gear box has been leaking onto the pitman arm, and the steering pump resi is covered with steering fluids. :censored:

The top trans line bung on the rad coolant tank is leaking. It wont go any tighter with a wrench. :wtf:

I do believe this might be the end for this engine.:dead:

Do I sink the funds into an engine swap, and replace the steering pump assembly, gearbox & radiator, or just get a new DD? Hmm...

Attachments

• trans line leak on radiator.jpg
    trans line leak on radiator.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 169
  • power steering line leak.jpg
    power steering line leak.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 159
  • wet oil pan from coolant leak.jpg
    wet oil pan from coolant leak.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Coolant on floor.jpg
    Coolant on floor.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 164
  • oil on floor.jpg
    oil on floor.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Dr side engine all wet.jpg
    Dr side engine all wet.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 164

Your avatar is seeming more and more appropriate.

Your avatar is seeming more and more appropriate.

It's been this way for the last 10 years! LOL...(really crying)

So I put in a couple qts of fluids, started it up, and heard a clunk on the floorboard. Freaked me out and I quickly looked under the rig, but didn't see a damn thing wrong. :scratch:

Brought it up to temp as I added more fluids until it was full. Took it for a spin around the block, and it works flawlessly. Matter of fact, it has more torque, as it lit up the back tire easily when I got on it a bit. Since this trans came out of a ranger, makes me wonder if there is any difference between them. :dunno:

The coolant leak stopped. I think because it was jacked up and on stands, the coolant was allowed to flow easier out the back intake gasket leak, and down the block. ...Maybe... Ack.. who frigging knows.

Any who... for anybody still following this thread, Pugly is back in action.... for now! To be continued...:thumbsup:

Back